Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Profile for Oatmeal Stout  (Read 28394 times)

Offline Norm!

• Cellarman
Re: Water Profile for Oatmeal Stout
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 10:39:11 pm »
Damm lets launch a space shuttle!!  I'm just going to brew beer...yall have fun ok?
Beer in various stages!

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 11:07:31 pm »
  Tubercle tried to read all of this and fell over onto the floor shaking like a dog s***ting persimmon seeds. Tubercle has made a lot of oatmeal stouts over the years but ain't never went through all of this.

Tubercle just pours some hot water over some crushed grains, boils with hops, chills and pitches yeast. I mean like DAMN! Y'all need to get y'all a woman or something.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 11:24:35 pm »
Maybe for your water, but my tap water has very low mineral content and many salts dissolve very easily in it (at 7.9 pH according to Ward labs).
Put a teaspoon of chalk in a glass of your water. Come back in a few days and tell me what happened.  ;)
Put a teaspoon of CaCl in a glass of your water.  Come back in a few days and tell me what happened.  ;)

Like I said, many salts dissolve very easily in my water.  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 05:16:03 am »
Damm lets launch a space shuttle!!

:D

I don’t know. I kind of feel like I just watched the space shuttle launch. Awesome stuff!  ;D

I really appreciate this stuff. I won’t remember it, or use it every day, but if somebody gives me an equation to use with no explanation I’m skeptical. If somebody can go through and explain why that’s the equation to use and where it comes from… that’s pure gold!  8)

Thanks for that.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 07:25:07 am »
I reached out to one of the brewer's from a local brewery-Silver Moon.  He taught the all-grain class I took.  Great guy.  Their brewery also won several medals at this year's GABF.  Here was his response to me:

Thanks.  It was a huge victory for our little brewery.

It sounds to me like you're thinking about amending your water to fit a particular water style.  London perhaps for the oatmeal stout?  One teaspoon of gypsum to the mash should get the water pH where it needs to be.  One half teaspoon gypsum and one half teaspoon of calcium chloride added at 15 minutes remaining in the boil should get you close to where you want to be.  Tom has this stuff at his shop.

You can add your dark grain at 45 minutes into a 60 minute mash to smooth the harsh dark malt flavors.

Cheers!

BT

Offline hike20

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 08:10:50 am »
Tubercle just pours some hot water over some crushed grains, boils with hops, chills and pitches yeast. I mean like DAMN! Y'all need to get y'all a woman or something.

Most of us here have a woman, which is why we brew beer, and probably why we spend so much time thinking about beer!  ;D