Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DIY Hop Spider  (Read 702 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
DIY Hop Spider
« on: June 03, 2022, 11:30:26 am »
After looking around the net and Youtube, I realized that I had most of the parts I needed.  I used an old flange from a garbage disposal that I installed and never used the flange for.  Went to the hardware store and bought 3 8 Inch bolts.  Had the nuts and washers.   Drilled 3 holes in the flange, put the nuts and washers on the inside and outside of the flange to hold the bolts on.  Used 3 alligator clips to hold the hop bag on, and off I went.  My only concern was that condensation was dripping off the bolts and into the boil.  But other than that, it worked perfectly.  Did get a bit hot though.  LOL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: DIY Hop Spider
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 12:17:51 pm »
Or you can lay a long handled spoon or something similar across the top of yiyr kettle and hang the bag from that. Theoretically you might get slightly better utilization since the wort can circulate all round the bag.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 03:38:15 pm »
Or you can lay a long handled spoon or something similar across the top of yiyr kettle and hang the bag from that. Theoretically you might get slightly better utilization since the wort can circulate all round the bag.

Very true.  Thanks. 

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 06:50:22 am »
Here is the one I built many years ago. https://youtu.be/Nb5YmY4X2Mg
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 07:35:58 am »
I made mine out of left over 1/2" copper scheduled M pipe, 4 90deg elbows, a 6" CPVC coupler and some peg board hooks.  And a stainless steel band clamp, of course.  Soldered the pipe together, now 20+ years old and still works perfect.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?