Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Packing it in and getting out of DC  (Read 9393 times)

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
Packing it in and getting out of DC
« on: April 12, 2022, 07:24:47 pm »
After much thought, we are done with DC and northern VA.  We are leaving and moving to Huntsville, AL. 
No job, no house, will put everything in storage until we figure it out.
Just my wife, my dog, my brewing kit, and computer. 

Seriously, pulling the plug after 30 years in the Navy and leaving DC.  Plan is to be out of here and having a pint at Rocket Republic, Yellowhammer, or Fractal by the end of July.  If anyone has a use for a washed-up submarine captain, let me know.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 09:27:54 am by duncan »

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Packing it in and getting out of DC
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 08:02:20 pm »
We liked our time in Huntsville, and Huntsvillians (Huntsvillites?) do seem to be disproportionately represented in the forums.

Lots more good breweries there now than when we were there.  Blue Pants was the only one I knew of at the time, and they're gone now.

And the job and housing market are going crazy now what with the FBI, HQ US Space Command, et al., moving in.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 08:46:32 pm »
After much thought, we are done with DC and northern VA.  We are leaving and moving to Huntsville, AL. 

Seriously, pulling the plug after 30 years in the Navy and leaving DC.  Plan is to be out of here and having a pint at Rocket Republic, Yellowhammer, or Fractal by the end of July.  If anyone has a use for a washed-up submarine captain, let me know.
Welcome to Huntsville. When you get here you should come give a lecture about your experiences at UAH.

Offline BrewBama

Packing it in and getting out of DC
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 09:57:38 pm »
I echo the welcome. I lived in DC three years and knew that dog don’t hunt.

Plenty of opportunities here for retired military. Bringing a Naval perspective to an organization will be an asset.

If you need a realtor I know a few. Understood if you have it covered.

Though I am not a member, I understand 256 Brewers is a good HomeBrew club. I know three members that are all good people.

When you get here and the whirlwind slows down, give us a shout and we can all meet up at a local watering hole to meet n greet.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 08:08:26 am »
I'm from CA and don't know anything about the East Coast, Submarines or retiring but I wish you the absolute best on the next best part of your life. Congratulations!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 08:46:07 am »
I have very good friends who relocated to Fairhope, AL, a couple years ago, from Florida.
They absolutely love it!

They attended the Bluebonnet with us this year. Dave had such a good time he went out and bought a nice all-in-one home brewery!

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 05:40:29 pm »

Welcome to Huntsville. When you get here you should come give a lecture about your experiences at UAH.
Happy to talk story.  Most of the best sea stories happened ashore though.  Funny, I am an Auburn alumni, but the guy I relieved in command (Seth, a great American) is a UAH alumni. 
Not sure who would want to hear me speak, but even though it is time to end my (first) career, I still love submarines and submariners.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 05:43:28 pm »
I echo the welcome. I lived in DC three years and knew that dog don%u2019t hunt.

Plenty of opportunities here for retired military. Bringing a Naval perspective to an organization will be an asset.

If you need a realtor I know a few. Understood if you have it covered.

Though I am not a member, I understand 256 Brewers is a good HomeBrew club. I know three members that are all good people.

When you get here and the whirlwind slows down, give us a shout and we can all meet up at a local watering hole to meet n greet.
Will have to hit you up for that realtor when we get there.  Plan (as of now) is to put everything in storage and rent a 2-3 bedroom executive apartment until I find some gainful employment.  Then find a place to buy where 1) we have a little space between the neighbors, 2) the kitchen meets my wife's specs 3) #2 should really be #1, 4) my commute is reasonable (Alabama reasonable, not DC reasonable.)

Will take you up on that pint.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 05:45:52 pm by Ron756 »

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 05:45:01 pm »
I'm from CA and don't know anything about the East Coast, Submarines or retiring but I wish you the absolute best on the next best part of your life. Congratulations!
Thanks.  I did a tour out of San Diego.  It was a pretty good time (2016-2017).  Weather was nice, food was good.  Lots of traffic, but it moved and if you put your turn signal on, people let you over.  Not so much here in DC.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 05:47:18 pm »

Happy to talk story.  Most of the best sea stories happened ashore though.  Funny, I am an Auburn alumni, but the guy I relieved in command (Seth, a great American) is a UAH alumni. 
Not sure who would want to hear me speak, but even though it is time to end my (first) career, I still love submarines and submariners.
I looked at your LinkedIn. I think you have a lot to say.

If you need help getting your resume to senior leaders let me know. I can share it for you. 

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2022, 04:32:16 pm »
I have very good friends who relocated to Fairhope, AL, a couple years ago, from Florida.
They absolutely love it!

They attended the Bluebonnet with us this year. Dave had such a good time he went out and bought a nice all-in-one home brewery!
It was a close call.  When I was a kid we would go to Alabama Point for vacation.  I was looking at the Mobile area, but my Huntsville has more opportunity and is closer to my kids.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2022, 04:40:53 pm »

I looked at your LinkedIn. I think you have a lot to say.

If you need help getting your resume to senior leaders let me know. I can share it for you.
Would appreciate any assistance is passing my resume into the right hands.  I am debating between three industries - power, which I have a lot of experience running a nuclear power plant the Navy way, defense, kind of the normal place for guys like me, and beer because it is fun, but I don't have the chops for the big beer jobs.

I do have a lot to say, some I can't say until 2 October, some I can never say, but I think I do have some hard learned lessons in leading people from 17 to 62; in communicating with people when you speak the same language, and when you don't; and learning how to embrace the suck and still have fun. 

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2022, 05:02:32 pm »
Good luck to you!  I admire anyone who is willing to take a risk and do something new because that's what their gut tells them is right.  Have a safe and happy move- sounds like there folks here to support you.  Cheers to them too!

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2022, 05:10:14 pm »
Thanks for the vote of confidence.  Little bit scary.  I haven't been unemployed since I was 12 and started cutting grass.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2022, 04:07:59 pm »
Thanks for the vote of confidence.  Little bit scary.  I haven't been unemployed since I was 12 and started cutting grass.

You will be fine. I was unemployed after my first airline went belly-up. Took me 6 months to land a job with another major airline. Now I am unemployed (and LOVING it) because the government says I am too old to fly for a part 121 carrier.

No problem! This gives me even more time to concentrate on beer! There is no where else I would rather be!