Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Packing it in and getting out of DC  (Read 9398 times)

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
Re: Packing it in and getting out of DC
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2022, 04:45:49 am »
Thanks for the vote of confidence.  Little bit scary.  I haven't been unemployed since I was 12 and started cutting grass.

You will be fine. I was unemployed after my first airline went belly-up. Took me 6 months to land a job with another major airline. Now I am unemployed (and LOVING it) because the government says I am too old to fly for a part 121 carrier.

No problem! This gives me even more time to concentrate on beer! There is no where else I would rather be!
I look forward to the day when I can do that completely.  Right now that would make my wife crazy if I were home that much.

Offline Ortizer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2022, 06:24:06 pm »
I'm from CA and don't know anything about the East Coast, Submarines or retiring but I wish you the absolute best on the next best part of your life. Congratulations!
Thanks.  I did a tour out of San Diego.  It was a pretty good time (2016-2017).  Weather was nice, food was good.  Lots of traffic, but it moved and if you put your turn signal on, people let you over.  Not so much here in DC.
The drivers in this area are idiots with turn signals.  It is shocking there are days where roads aren't shut down for accidents.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 05:54:45 am »
I echo the welcome. I lived in DC three years and knew that dog don%u2019t hunt.

Plenty of opportunities here for retired military. Bringing a Naval perspective to an organization will be an asset.

If you need a realtor I know a few. Understood if you have it covered.

Though I am not a member, I understand 256 Brewers is a good HomeBrew club. I know three members that are all good people.

When you get here and the whirlwind slows down, give us a shout and we can all meet up at a local watering hole to meet n greet.
Will have to hit you up for that realtor when we get there.  Plan (as of now) is to put everything in storage and rent a 2-3 bedroom executive apartment until I find some gainful employment.  Then find a place to buy where 1) we have a little space between the neighbors, 2) the kitchen meets my wife's specs 3) #2 should really be #1, 4) my commute is reasonable (Alabama reasonable, not DC reasonable.)

Will take you up on that pint.

Ok, part 1 executed, I have rented a house for 2 months while we search. 
Part 2 ongoing (started interviews with one company, trying to break into the rest)
Could use those recommendations on a realtor if you don't mind sending over.  Looking at three options:
a) existing home
b) new construction already underway, nearing completion
c) find land and build
I suspect option c is not going to meet effective timelines to keep my wife from going crazy so a and b are the primary concentrations.
Thanks. 
Ron

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2022, 06:06:30 am »
Message sent. Let me know if you need anything.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2022, 06:31:48 am »
I echo the welcome. I lived in DC three years and knew that dog don%u2019t hunt.

Plenty of opportunities here for retired military. Bringing a Naval perspective to an organization will be an asset.

If you need a realtor I know a few. Understood if you have it covered.

Though I am not a member, I understand 256 Brewers is a good HomeBrew club. I know three members that are all good people.

When you get here and the whirlwind slows down, give us a shout and we can all meet up at a local watering hole to meet n greet.
Will have to hit you up for that realtor when we get there.  Plan (as of now) is to put everything in storage and rent a 2-3 bedroom executive apartment until I find some gainful employment.  Then find a place to buy where 1) we have a little space between the neighbors, 2) the kitchen meets my wife's specs 3) #2 should really be #1, 4) my commute is reasonable (Alabama reasonable, not DC reasonable.)

Will take you up on that pint.

Ok, part 1 executed, I have rented a house for 2 months while we search. 
Part 2 ongoing (started interviews with one company, trying to break into the rest)
Could use those recommendations on a realtor if you don't mind sending over.  Looking at three options:
a) existing home
b) new construction already underway, nearing completion
c) find land and build
I suspect option c is not going to meet effective timelines to keep my wife from going crazy so a and b are the primary concentrations.
Thanks. 
Ron
I vote for existing, but that’s just what my wife and I like. We are 2.5 miles south of downtown and like being close.

Regarding a job, Keith needs a partner for his new brewery venture or you could just buy the equipment and branch out on your own. :)

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 06:49:58 am »
Now the important questions. I’ll ask for Ron.

Which brewery should Ron go to first?
Which is the best homebrew club?

1- I still prefer Yellowhammer. But there are quite a few now and I haven’t made the journey west to Rocket Republic since Keith started. Beezr has a big list of lagers right now. I haven’t tried them but I saw them when getting a coffee there Saturday morning.

2- For homebrew club: definitely 256 Brewers.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2022, 07:14:00 am »
All tough choices.  I've been looking around town.  Tough to pick areas not knowing them too well.  The first AB&B I scheduled I had to cancel.  You don't get the address until you reserve the place, so I reserved it and sent my son to check the area out.  He rejected it out right.  The second one is in 5-points and down the street from one of his buddies, so my wife is much more comfortable.

We did get a chance to check out Rocket Republic when we were in town over Christmas.  Keith makes good beer.  Not sure I am ready to be a partner in a brewery as much fun as it could be, and certainly not ready to branch out alone.  My brewing has been about 50/50 - I toss as much as I drink.  But life is too short to drink bad beer, even when invested in making it. 

We went to Yellowhammer one or two trips ago.  I like the 1812 - again Keith's recipe. 

Two more months, my wife says I have senioritis right now.  We have moved on average every 2 years for the last 30, so being in the same job for 3 is getting long...

Thanks for the recommendations.
Ron

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 09:53:38 am »
Now the important questions. I’ll ask for Ron.

Which brewery should Ron go to first?
Which is the best homebrew club?

1- I still prefer Yellowhammer. But there are quite a few now and I haven’t made the journey west to Rocket Republic since Keith started. Beezr has a big list of lagers right now. I haven’t tried them but I saw them when getting a coffee there Saturday morning.

2- For homebrew club: definitely 256 Brewers.
We liked Chandler’s Ford (BEEZR) Downtown when we visited last year.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Online BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2022, 10:11:29 am »
1. Since you’ve been to Yellowhammer try Bowler Hat.

2. 256. I know a few members and based on the ‘birds of a feather’ model, it’s most likely a good club. I have heard less than good things about other(s).

Offline BQnW

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2022, 07:44:34 am »
Thank you for your service! And good luck on your new voyage!

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2022, 11:24:32 am »
All, Thanks for the great suggestions and options.  My wife and I are debating between Salty Nut (because of the Name), and Bowler Hat or Beezr (because of the recommendations.)  Though we may lean toward the gastropub beer option.  Plan to be there by the end of the month. 

We are also searching for a pet oncologist.  Our 13-year-old Labradoodle is in chemo right now (which appears to be working) for lymphatic cancer.  Any suggestions?
Thanks
Ron

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2022, 06:03:42 am »
Hey Ron that's awesome! I have moved on from Rocket and I am now working for Cross-Eyed Owl in Decatur. It's a long drive so I wouldn't expect anyone to m make it (they are paying my gas, lol) but if you do, let me know and I'll pour you a few pints.

You should definitely check out Salty Nut--that was Yellowhammer's first location and we built that taproom and beer garden. The beer is not very good, however. Beezr (Chandler's Ford) is making some very good lagers. I have not been to Bowler Hat but have heard very mixed reviews.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2022, 06:35:33 am »
Hey Ron that's awesome! I have moved on from Rocket and I am now working for Cross-Eyed Owl in Decatur. It's a long drive so I wouldn't expect anyone to m make it (they are paying my gas, lol) but if you do, let me know and I'll pour you a few pints.

You should definitely check out Salty Nut--that was Yellowhammer's first location and we built that taproom and beer garden. The beer is not very good, however. Beezr (Chandler's Ford) is making some very good lagers. I have not been to Bowler Hat but have heard very mixed reviews.

Thanks for the warning on the beer at Salty Nut.  That will make us prioritize other places.  Still a good name. 
Beezr has a pretty good-looking menu for food too (we are kind of foodies).  So sounds like the place to start. 

On a separate note, how do I insert pictures?  It has been kicking my butt. 

I will figure out a time to check out Cross-eyed Owl and let you know when we will be in the area.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2022, 07:25:27 am »
This sounds fun: Yellowhammer Oktoberfest. Sept 10, 1-8pm.

https://fb.me/e/50vwUoLeP

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2022, 07:28:28 am »

Thanks for the warning on the beer at Salty Nut.  That will make us prioritize other places.  Still a good name. 
Beezr has a pretty good-looking menu for food too (we are kind of foodies).  So sounds like the place to start. 

On a separate note, how do I insert pictures?  It has been kicking my butt. 

I will figure out a time to check out Cross-eyed Owl and let you know when we will be in the area.
I use Tapatalk (an app on my phone).  To insert pictures I press the picture and pick a photo from my phones photo library.

That’s not the only way. You can use the AHA website and point to a photo at a hosting site like a photo bucket.