Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada  (Read 2819 times)

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
Re: Sierra Nevada
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2022, 11:40:22 am »
Homage, ball park, attempt, in the neighborhood of.....  I attempted NSPA, I thought I got it damn close, had a side-by-side tasting with friends and everyone liked my attempt better than the actual, then I tweaked it, and it went the wrong way.  But it was still good beer and I might try again in a few batches.  It'll never be a perfect match, the water, temperatures, yeast adaptation, batch size effects, other nuances that SN doesn't share. It's all part of the magic of brewing.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2022, 01:04:51 pm »
I have to eat my words! About 20 months ago we brewed a German Pilsner, with W-34/70 yeast. Ireks Pilsner Malt.

We did not attempt to copy-cat any beer. But in a side-by-side taste test, among 3 people, they could not tell the difference between our Pils and a bottle of Weihenstephaner Premium Pils.

There was no recipe we followed, it was just brewed to be something we would enjoy drinking. So...it can be done. Even by default!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 05:44:02 pm »
I have to eat my words! About 20 months ago we brewed a German Pilsner, with W-34/70 yeast. Ireks Pilsner Malt.

We did not attempt to copy-cat any beer. But in a side-by-side taste test, among 3 people, they could not tell the difference between our Pils and a bottle of Weihenstephaner Premium Pils.

There was no recipe we followed, it was just brewed to be something we would enjoy drinking. So...it can be done. Even by default!
I’m not surprised. You guys are doing world class beers. Being able to clone beers without trying is like witchcraft. The future is bright! When when I be able to find these beers on the shelves?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 06:30:34 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2022, 07:20:05 pm »

I’m not surprised. You guys are doing world class beers. Being able to clone beers without trying is like witchcraft. The future is bright! When when I be able to find these beers on the shelves?

:-X

I kind of want to try one of these things more than anything now tbh.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2022, 07:42:23 pm »

You say so.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2022, 08:29:51 pm »

Now take your beer to Freising and try that with Bier at the source.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2022, 08:35:53 pm »
NHC 2009 both Ken Gosmann and Vinnie Chilurzo said that they hae fiven out the "recipe" for their famous beers, but you could only get close, as you don't  have their ingredients,  equipment,  or process. As i say often a recipe is a list of ingredients and how to process them.  Most homebrewers will ignore that last part.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2022, 09:25:32 am »
In 2018 Sierra Nevada sponsored a "collaboration brew" of Resilience IPA. They published the recipe and encouraged breweries to brew it and donate their profits to a fund to provide relief for victims of the Camp fire, near the Sierra Nevada headquarters in Chico. Over a thousand breweries participated. A homebrewer's version was also published (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/sierra-nevada-resilience-ipa/ ). This provided an interesting opportunity to sample the same recipe brewed at different locations. I personally tried the Sierra Nevada version, my own version, and a couple from local breweries. They were all similar but definitely not the same!
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2022, 03:14:08 pm »

Now take your beer to Freising and try that with Bier at the source.

I would LOVE to do that! This beer was brewed almost 2 years ago. So that will not happen. And we have to factor in the bottles of Weihenstephaner we used for comparison would not taste like the beer in the homeland.

However, a slight modification on this recipe got us a couple Gold Medals (Munich Helles / Oktoberfest), and a ticket to the Best Of Show judging at the Bluebonnet National, in 2021. I cannot take any credit for the awards, as it is all talent on loan from God.

This was with W-34/70 yeast...which we no longer care for, or use.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 03:16:43 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2022, 03:55:58 pm »
In 2018 Sierra Nevada sponsored a "collaboration brew" of Resilience IPA. They published the recipe and encouraged breweries to brew it and donate their profits to a fund to provide relief for victims of the Camp fire, near the Sierra Nevada headquarters in Chico. Over a thousand breweries participated. A homebrewer's version was also published (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/sierra-nevada-resilience-ipa/ ). This provided an interesting opportunity to sample the same recipe brewed at different locations. I personally tried the Sierra Nevada version, my own version, and a couple from local breweries. They were all similar but definitely not the same!

It is not unlike airplanes, and WWII replicas. I built a replica P-51D Mustang. It looks nice, flies nice, and to many folks looks like the real thing...but it is not.

Online Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2022, 03:56:49 pm »
" talent on loan from God." A phrase borrowed from a great man! May he rest in peace.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2022, 04:04:45 pm »
" talent on loan from God." A phrase borrowed from a great man! May he rest in peace.

You got that right.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2022, 04:26:10 pm »

It is not unlike airplanes, and WWII replicas. I built a replica P-51D Mustang. It looks nice, flies nice, and to many folks looks like the real thing...but it is not.

That is really cool.  Great looking plane.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2022, 07:11:19 pm »

This was with W-34/70 yeast...which we no longer care for, or use.

ok, so you're saying you have improved upon the beer that was a perfect clone of weihenstephaner? that's even better

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2022, 11:31:05 am »

How long did they take. Tell me about the engine.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild