Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SMaSH with IDAHO 7  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Darioza

• 1st Kit
SMaSH with IDAHO 7
« on: February 18, 2022, 03:45:09 am »
Hi everyone. I apologize in advance if this was previously discussed. I'm looking for any recommendations and ideas for the IDAHO 7 hop schedule in a SMaSH? Any bittering additions? Do you recommend any 20 and 10 min additions? Or just the whirlpool addition? I'm planning to enter a small competition, and I'm currently without any idea how to use the above mentioned hop. Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: SMaSH with IDAHO 7
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 07:23:29 am »
You can do a SMASH beer in many different styles. Pale Ales, IPAs and Wheat beers are popular examples of beers brewed with Idaho 7. What style do you have in mind?
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 08:20:56 am »
Hi everyone. I apologize in advance if this was previously discussed. I'm looking for any recommendations and ideas for the IDAHO 7 hop schedule in a SMaSH? Any bittering additions? Do you recommend any 20 and 10 min additions? Or just the whirlpool addition? I'm planning to enter a small competition, and I'm currently without any idea how to use the above mentioned hop. Thanks in advance for the help.

Personally I never make a beer without bittering additions. I would do 60, 10 and dry hop.  I no longer do whirlpool additions.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 08:27:12 am »
I just did a hazy IPA using Idaho-7 (and others).  No bittering additions, just whirlpool and dry hops.  It turned out great.  It all depends on what style or flavor profile you are looking for.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 09:24:09 am »
I just did a hazy IPA using Idaho-7 (and others).  No bittering additions, just whirlpool and dry hops.  It turned out great.  It all depends on what style or flavor profile you are looking for.

Do you have the recipe I can borrow?  LOL.  I like IPA's and am looking for anything so I can try everything.  LOL

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 09:30:11 am »

this is one of the newer hops that I really like. black tea, resin and apricot. As far as hop schedule, it all depends on teh style you want to make, but its a great dry hop.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 10:53:51 am »
For APAs I do additions at 30*, 10, and 1 minute. I usually do 1:1:2 ratio: like 1 oz, 1 oz, 2 oz. I put those in BeerSmith and then tell BeerSmith to adjust them to the IBU amount I want: 40-50 IBU for APAs for me. Then I add a dry hop dose 1x-2x the size of the 1 minute dose (if I want dry hops).

*The 30 minute addition seems to work well for bitterness bite for me.  I skip 60 when I want hop flavor.

Offline Darioza

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 01:53:08 pm »
You can do a SMASH beer in many different styles. Pale Ales, IPAs and Wheat beers are popular examples of beers brewed with Idaho 7. What style do you have in mind?
American Pale Ale

Offline Darioza

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 01:55:22 pm »

Personally I never make a beer without bittering additions. I would do 60, 10 and dry hop.  I no longer do whirlpool additions.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 04:17:00 pm »

Thanks a lot for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Glad you found it useful.  Since you're doing an AP this is probably the way to go.  Some of the other suggestions would be more relevant in something like a NEIPA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline JRobert.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2022, 06:48:12 am »

[/quote] You and I have gone opposite directions. I don't do bittering adds to my IPAs anymore. I do a late kettle co2 extract, then a healthy dry hop schedule. Happy with the results!

Offline rtstrider

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 01:34:51 pm »
Here's what's currently in the fermenter. I would follow Denny's advice here. I really don't feel a whirlpool addition is that beneficial here (even though I used one). The hops are extremely aromatic. I would bitter then focus on the later boil additions/dry hop. I've had a ton of luck using first wort, 15, 5 minute additions with dry hop. First wort, 10, dry hop would work well also. It's splitting hairs at the end of the day and goes into the use what you prefer. If White Labs Opshaug can be had, and fermented room temp, that would compliment the tropical-ness of this batch without adding the weird kviek twang. If you didn't want to use a kviek strain then I'd look at an English strain such as wlp007 or Nottingham fermented on the warmer side. The apricot like esters would really make the brew pop imo. Here's a good hop addition cheat sheet https://cryopopblend.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Survivable-Compounds-Handbook.pdf Anywho here's the recipe

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.73%
IBU (tinseth): 43.54
SRM (morey): 3.81
Mash pH: 5.89

FERMENTABLES:
12 lb - Brewers Malt 2-Row (100%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Idaho 7, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: First Wort, IBU: 14.09
0.5 oz - Idaho 7, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 12.71
1 oz - Idaho 7, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10.21
1 oz - Idaho 7, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 180 °F, IBU: 6.53
3 oz - Idaho 7, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Keg Hop

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4.5 gal
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 4.6 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
White Labs - Opshaug Kveik Ale Yeast WLP518