Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Yeast For Premium Czech Pils  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Best Yeast For Premium Czech Pils
« on: April 17, 2022, 06:49:09 am »
There are several options for yeast:

Diamond Lager
Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager
Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils
Wyeast 2001 PC H Strain

Any suggestions here? Other brands? Saflager strains?
We are going for the classic Czech Pilsner profile, with Saaz hops, Czech malt, soft water, decoction mash, etc.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Best Yeast For Premium Czech Pils
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 07:00:18 am »
The H strain is purported to be what is used - maybe just a little more fruity?  I prefer the Diamond, but it could be that it ferments more completely than the H strain (it ends a bit higher, as I hear it.  Perhaps a chance to split batch it?

Enjoy in any event!  Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 08:07:34 am »
Cellar Science Berlin/Fermentis S23 are genetically close to WYeast 2001/Pilsner Urquell H strain.

I’ve used the Berlin strain and I think it would make a nice Bo pils. It’s soft and slightly fruity which would work well with all the elements of a Pilsner Urquell type pils.

Berlin is slow to ferment compared to Diamond or 34/70. Took take near 12-14 days to reach terminal gravity at 50F. This was a heavy pitch of about 1.8 grams per liter.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 09:24:26 am »
Yes, the plan is to do a split batch, 5 gallons each, with Diamond and one other yeast.
We have not brewed a Czech Pils for a long, long time.
In fact, it was the very first beer our team brewed after we purchased all of our new brewing equipment.

Saflager S-23?

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 02:24:18 pm »
Noooooo!  If you want a crappy Czech Pils use S23. I have made and medaled with Czech Pils with plain old 2124. It lacks the diacytel of 2001, but has a nice malty back bone, hops come out beautifully and for me, I don’t miss the butter. I don’t care if they say that yeast is Czech, it sucks. No one ever said they wished their Czech Pils was fruity.

To me the beer should be malty with a firm, but subdued bitterness. Nice hop flavor, but not too much. The Czech Pils is born in the mash tun. Either do a decoction mash or have 30% Vienna malt in the grain bill, but get the malt character up and let the yeast do the rest.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 02:46:42 pm »
Noooooo!  If you want a crappy Czech Pils use S23. I have made and medaled with Czech Pils with plain old 2124. It lacks the diacytel of 2001, but has a nice malty back bone, hops come out beautifully and for me, I don’t miss the butter. I don’t care if they say that yeast is Czech, it sucks. No one ever said they wished their Czech Pils was fruity.

To me the beer should be malty with a firm, but subdued bitterness. Nice hop flavor, but not too much. The Czech Pils is born in the mash tun. Either do a decoction mash or have 30% Vienna malt in the grain bill, but get the malt character up and let the yeast do the rest.

So 2124 is the Carlsberg type yeast. Never thought about using that one. It calls for a diacetyl rest.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 04:30:06 pm »
S23
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 05:39:38 pm »
S23

Never tried this yeast. Have you used it in a Premium Czech Pils?

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 05:59:12 pm »
S23

Never tried this yeast. Have you used it in a Premium Czech Pils?
Yes. Pretty sure some others here have had good results with it recently.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 07:16:07 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 06:25:19 pm »

So 2124 is the Carlsberg type yeast. Never thought about using that one. It calls for a diacetyl rest.

2124 is supposedly 34/70 or Weinhestephan  lager yeast. I do a diacytel rest, although it may not be necessary. I have used S23 multiple times and I cannot get the fruitiness out of the beer. There are so many good yeasts out there, why S23? Why not Diamond yeast? Most lager strains are very closely related, often the difference between them is often without distinction.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 06:28:14 pm by HighVoltageMan! »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 06:36:31 pm »

2124 is supposedly 34/70 or Weinhestephan  lager yeast. I do a diacytel rest, although it may not be necessary. I have used S23 multiple times and I cannot get the fruitiness out of the beer. There are so many good yeasts out there, why S23? Why not Diamond yeast? Most lager strains are very closely related, often the difference between them is often without distinction.

Yes, Diamond will be used, but the plan is to do a split batch, using two different yeasts. This is not for competition, just something that we want to brew for ourselves.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 09:39:25 pm »
I think Diamond is great for German pils. I get a nice touch of sulfur out of it that works well for a crisp finish of a German pils. I personally think the sulfur would be out of place in the Bo pils. Others may not get much sulfur from Diamond. Could be because I like a bit of sulfate in my germannpils water and I also spund. The sulfur seems to kick up during spunding.

To my tastes there is a distinct subtle fruitiness in the Pilsner Urquel when tasted fresh at the brewery, even more evident in the young beer out of the wooden lagering tanks. The Berlin strain has this subtle fruitiness. 

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2022, 05:09:13 am »
I think Diamond is great for German pils. I get a nice touch of sulfur out of it that works well for a crisp finish of a German pils. I personally think the sulfur would be out of place in the Bo pils. Others may not get much sulfur from Diamond. Could be because I like a bit of sulfate in my germannpils water and I also spund. The sulfur seems to kick up during spunding.

To my tastes there is a distinct subtle fruitiness in the Pilsner Urquel when tasted fresh at the brewery, even more evident in the young beer out of the wooden lagering tanks. The Berlin strain has this subtle fruitiness.

Never noticed any sulfur in the finished beer with Diamond. As we do not add chemicals to our water, perhaps this could be the reason. Not sure.
Just bought a 6 pack of Pilsner Urquell. It was at the end of it's 9 month shelf life, and did not taste fresh at all. An strong off-malt aroma was present. And it carried through in the flavor.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2022, 07:18:31 am »

That doesn't necessarily mean it needs one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 08:00:36 am »
I have used 34/70, S-23, S-189 & OYL-106 with varying degrees of success meaning they did what was described they would do. With that said, I prefer 34/70 over the others. Wy-2001 if I can find it will be next. I have played with ferm temp from 48* on 34/70 up to 55*. I can't say there was much difference at least that I could perceive. The other yeasts were fermented at 48,50 & 50 respectively. In my opinion, as it was previously stated, a decoction would be proper but certainly not necessary.I do not decoction mash (yet). Until I try Wy-2001 and compare with 34/70 my preference is 34/70 @48 with a DR @ 65 with 10 or so points of gravity left.