Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Increased yeast activity  (Read 745 times)

Offline Hopspringseternal

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
Increased yeast activity
« on: April 30, 2022, 12:40:48 pm »
Five days ago I brewed a Russian stout, an extract kit from More Beer, with S-04. The OG range is 1.074-91. According to my Tilt hydrometer, my OG was 1.092. I set my fermenter at 62 for the first three days, then increased it to 63 yesterday. The gravity level has dropped fast and steadily. This morning the Tilt registered 1.034 and it was producing about one bubble/six seconds. I pulled about six oz. of spent yeast, and to my surprise, the airlock bubbles increased to one bubble for every two seconds. The gravity level dropped thirteen points in seven hours to 1.021. That's already an ABV above 9.0! Should I be concerned?
Hopspringseternal

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Increased yeast activity
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 12:43:28 pm »
Five days ago I brewed a Russian stout, an extract kit from More Beer, with S-04. The OG range is 1.074-91. According to my Tilt hydrometer, my OG was 1.092. I set my fermenter at 62 for the first three days, then increased it to 63 yesterday. The gravity level has dropped fast and steadily. This morning the Tilt registered 1.034 and it was producing about one bubble/six seconds. I pulled about six oz. of spent yeast, and to my surprise, the airlock bubbles increased to one bubble for every two seconds. The gravity level dropped thirteen points in seven hours to 1.021. That's already an ABV above 9.0! Should I be concerned?

I don't see anything to be concerned about.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 03:19:44 pm »
Thanks, Denny.  How long should I hold the temp at 63?
Hopspringseternal

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 11:44:09 am »
The Yeast book by White and Zainashef recommends raising the temperature by 4 - 10 degrees F over one to two days when 1/4 - 1/3 of the fermentation remains. It's been working well for me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 12:06:12 pm »
Thanks, Denny.  How long should I hold the temp at 63?

I generally hold it 4-5 days, then raise to 70-72. With your OG it may take a bit longer before raising temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 07:55:43 am »
Very helpful information, Neuse and Denny!  Thanks a lot!
Hopspringseternal