Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Submersible Wort chiller  (Read 1658 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Submersible Wort chiller
« on: April 19, 2022, 12:34:33 am »
OK, in the spirit of the DIY in me, I have decided to try and make a submersible wort chiller.  I have both Lowes and Home Depot near me, so I think I can do it.  My thought is, and please add anything if I am wrong, 20 feet of 3/8 inch copper tubing, the kind you can bend.  I couple of compression fittings to attach a couple of pieces of garden hose to and my submersible pump.  My question is, do you think 20 feet of copper tubing will be enough to cool 6 gallons of wort in a 10 gallon Gas One Kettle?  I have seen up to 50 feet, but I just think that is going to be way too much.  Thoughts?  I am off this week, so I am thinking of doing this tomorrow as I don't have much going on that I know of right now  LOL.  Any input is much appreciated.  RR

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Submersible Wort chiller
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 05:17:00 am »
I built my first IC the same way you are describing.  I connected two 25' foot sections and it worked well.  Eventually the junction between the two rolls of copper failed.  It worked very well until my minimal copper soldering skills made themselves know.

I have a 25' stainless steel IC now.  I can't say it works better than my DIY one and I think it's a bit slower actually.

I think you've got a sound plan.  More tubing will cool more quickly.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 05:47:33 am »
I've used a couple of 3/8" x 25' immersion chillers and found them to be adequate for my 5.25-gallon batch size. If I were to build one, I'd go with 35 to 40'.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 08:25:24 am »
Go with 50 ft.  If you don't you'll wish you had.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 10:18:02 am »
Thanks all for the replies.  I think I am going to take a ride to my local Lowes first.  I hate Home Depot  LOL.  I am thinking 3/8 would be the best diameter.  We will see what I can come up with. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 10:50:17 am »
I think you've got a sound plan.  More tubing will cool more quickly.

Go with 50 ft.  If you don't you'll wish you had.

yes, this, i think 3/8th should be good, i either have that or 1/4". mine was i believe 25' DIY copper and it just isn't that fast due to its smaller size, takes about 30 full mins to cool to near pitching temps.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 11:11:28 am »
Thanks all for the replies.  I think I am going to take a ride to my local Lowes first.  I hate Home Depot  LOL.  I am thinking 3/8 would be the best diameter.  We will see what I can come up with.

I would highly recommend 50 ft. 3/8.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 02:48:23 pm »
When we researched building a coil immersion chiller, vs simply buying one, it was always less expensive to buy one ready made.

The Hydra Chiller is a huge step up in quality, and chilling capability. Best money I have ever spent.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 03:54:58 pm »
When we researched building a coil immersion chiller, vs simply buying one, it was always less expensive to buy one ready made.

The Hydra Chiller is a huge step up in quality, and chilling capability. Best money I have ever spent.

Funny you should say that, I have found that to be exactly the case.  By the time I buy the copper and all the fittings, I can buy one and avoid the hassles.  Now, to find one that fits in my Gas One pot.  LOL. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 04:06:56 pm »

Funny you should say that, I have found that to be exactly the case.  By the time I buy the copper and all the fittings, I can buy one and avoid the hassles.  Now, to find one that fits in my Gas One pot.  LOL.

If you want to go with Jaded, contact them and tell them what kettle you've got. Clay will hook you up with the right chiller.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 07:37:43 am »

If you want to go with Jaded, contact them and tell them what kettle you've got. Clay will hook you up with the right chiller.

And, Clay can custom fabricate what you want if it is not an off the shelf model. He really helped me.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 10:28:18 am »
Thanks for all the help guys.  Unfortunately the Jaded one is a bit over my budget at almost 200 bucks.  I am going to see what I can find on Amazon.  I found one with just a quick search for about 100 bucks with free shipping.  50 foot of 3/8 inch copper with the connections already on it.  I might give that a go for now.  Once I get it dialed in and am into this more I might look towards the more expensive ones, but for now, budget minded is where I am   

https://www.amazon.com/NY-Brew-Supply-W3850-CV-Efficient/dp/B01C856JQI/ref=asc_df_B01C856JQI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312191044760&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3605948603173085947&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031933&hvtargid=pla-568698077486&th=1

This is the one I am looking at. 

Once again, thanks for all the help  I appreciate it. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 10:36:32 am »
Thanks for all the help guys.  Unfortunately the Jaded one is a bit over my budget at almost 200 bucks.  I am going to see what I can find on Amazon.  I found one with just a quick search for about 100 bucks with free shipping.  50 foot of 3/8 inch copper with the connections already on it.  I might give that a go for now.  Once I get it dialed in and am into this more I might look towards the more expensive ones, but for now, budget minded is where I am   

https://www.amazon.com/NY-Brew-Supply-W3850-CV-Efficient/dp/B01C856JQI/ref=asc_df_B01C856JQI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312191044760&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3605948603173085947&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031933&hvtargid=pla-568698077486&th=1

This is the one I am looking at. 

Once again, thanks for all the help  I appreciate it.

That looks like a perfectly fine chiller.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 10:41:38 am »
The Lowe's near me lists 50 ft of 3/8 copper tubing at $78.98 ... before you add in cost of fittings (and a tube bender if you don't already have one).  $100 all in sounds like a competitive price to me.

(Or save the $100 and go no-chill.)

EDIT: You can also find aluminum tubing online for cheaper than copper. That could be a budget option, too, and preserve the DIY element.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 10:57:06 am by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 10:53:01 am »
The Jaded really is the best immersion chiller I have encountered.  If you go with the one on Amazon, try swirling it in the kettle as it chills to get a better chilling effect.  Then when you can afford the Jaded product, you can use this first one as a "pre-chiller" to sit in a bucket of ice water.  At that point you will be chilling 5 gallons to pitch temp in almost no time.

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"