Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whole house water filter  (Read 804 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Whole house water filter
« on: April 18, 2022, 11:51:36 am »
   I'm planning on installing a whole house water filter and am leaning towards the Home Master 2 stage filter HMF2SDGC. Anyone have any experience with this unit, or suggestions for something different? Considering the plumbing that will be required, I want to get it right the 1st time. I don't want to spend more than I need to but am willing to spend as much as is necessary to get the quality I insist on. I'd do a hyperlink but am too much of a Luddite to know how.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Whole house water filter
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 12:21:54 pm »
I'm not familiar with that filter, but I would definitely recommend you plumb in a by-pass around it...just in case.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 02:56:58 pm »
Filters like that don't do much for brewers and they can cause problems in your fixtures due to the lack of disinfectant in your water. 

So I imply that filters like that remove all the disinfectant (chlorine) from the water supply, but they need to have a low flow rate in order for that to happen.  Since most users don't run their water faucets at a near-trickle, you don't actually assure yourself that all the chlorine is removed.  So, its kind of a lose-lose situation with those filters.  The only thing that you can probably assure yourself about, is that the sediment will probably all be removed.  But that's rarely a problem anyhow. 

Sorry to be raining on the parade.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 03:54:54 pm »
Filters like that don't do much for brewers and they can cause problems in your fixtures due to the lack of disinfectant in your water. 

So I imply that filters like that remove all the disinfectant (chlorine) from the water supply, but they need to have a low flow rate in order for that to happen.  Since most users don't run their water faucets at a near-trickle, you don't actually assure yourself that all the chlorine is removed.  So, its kind of a lose-lose situation with those filters.  The only thing that you can probably assure yourself about, is that the sediment will probably all be removed.  But that's rarely a problem anyhow. 

Sometimes the truth hurts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 03:37:16 pm »
Are you on well water or municipal?

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 05:04:32 pm »

No apology needed Martin, I'm looking for input, not affirmation. Just had chat with the mfr, they insist it will remove 95% of chlorine at a 20 gpm flow rate, which is probably 4 times what I can get from the hose bib out back, the kitchen faucet does less than 3 gpm.  The filters for this unit are 20" x 4 1/4" so they have 4 times the surface area of the little hardware store models. This model does not remove chloramine though, so I need to find out what the City uses. Thanks for the bypass suggestion Megary, I'm sure I would have thought of that, but probably only after I finished the install. Thanks for the feedback guys.
   V
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 08:19:04 pm »
4.5”x20” is the standard Pentair Big Blue.

Check out Enpress One if you really want to bump up surface area:

https://www.enpress.com/site/project/cartridge-tank-filtration-system/

Or Watts Big Bubba:
https://www.watts.com/products/water-quality-rainwater-harvesting-solutions/water-quality-parts-accessories/filter-housings/big-bubba

Or better yet, get a backfkushing media tank loaded with a few cubic feet of catalytic carbon. That’ll take care of the chloramine.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 08:28:20 pm by MDL »