General Category > Ingredients

Help me FWH my Kolsch

(1/5) > >>

majorvices:
I want to try someething different with my kolsch and want to FWH with crystal. I know Denny is the FWH guru. I also know he has walked me through this before... :-\

Anyway, I am going to brew this tomorrow - let;s say I want to to a FWH ONLY kolsch with crystal, targeting about 28 IBUs - how do I do this?

denny:
The way I would do it would be to calc the FWH hops as a 20 min. IBU contribution, then use as much as you need to hit your 28 IBU.  If you use Promash and do a 60 min. boil, that would mean setting your FWH utilization to -65.

majorvices:
Thanks - I don't have ProMash. That's cool that there is a FWH utilization on it. I don't think there was when I used it.

I'm going to try it tomorrow and see how it goes.

jds:

--- Quote from: denny on November 03, 2009, 12:25:22 PM ---The way I would do it would be to calc the FWH hops as a 20 min. IBU contribution, then use as much as you need to hit your 28 IBU.  If you use Promash and do a 60 min. boil, that would mean setting your FWH utilization to -65.

--- End quote ---

Can you please explain to me why FWH is calculated this way? Is it because of the change in perception of bitterness from FWH, or does FWH really result in reduced utilization compared to a 60-minute addition? I really like the quality of bitterness I get from FWH additions, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept that longer time in the wort = lower utilization.

Thanks

denny:

--- Quote from: jds on November 04, 2009, 12:46:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: denny on November 03, 2009, 12:25:22 PM ---The way I would do it would be to calc the FWH hops as a 20 min. IBU contribution, then use as much as you need to hit your 28 IBU.  If you use Promash and do a 60 min. boil, that would mean setting your FWH utilization to -65.

--- End quote ---

Can you please explain to me why FWH is calculated this way? Is it because of the change in perception of bitterness from FWH, or does FWH really result in reduced utilization compared to a 60-minute addition? I really like the quality of bitterness I get from FWH additions, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept that longer time in the wort = lower utilization.

Thanks

--- End quote ---

It's strictly subjective.  I've had beers analyzed that were FWH and hopped with an equal amount of the same hops at 60 min.  The FWH beers measured about 10% more IBU than the 60 min. beer, but in a blind triangle tasting were subjectively judged to have less bitterness.  It's because of chemical changes that take place when the hops are steeped in wort.  This article http://www.franklinbrew.org/brewinfo/brauweltfwh.html may shed some light on the subject.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version