Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Filtering - Unbiased Results  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beer Filtering - Unbiased Results
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 02:20:56 pm »
If you only have 90% yeast removal in one pass, you'd have to make 3 passes to get 99.9% removal.

Is it possible to run beer through the filter successive times? 2, or even 3 times? Never done that before. Never needed to.
It says in the product description you can filter more than one keg. So, why not go back and forth between two kegs?

I filtered 10 gallons, two kegs. Next time, I will try one keg (5 gallons) and run it through twice. Good idea!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 04:47:23 pm »
If you only have 90% yeast removal in one pass, you'd have to make 3 passes to get 99.9% removal.

this is probably a good step to take.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2022, 01:29:38 pm »
The results are in...my brewing friend, and neighbor, and former craft brewer in Austin, Texas, has picked the winner.

In a blind taste test, he chose the filtered beer over the non filtered beer.

The first thing he said was the filtered beer was brilliant, crystal clear.

The two beers were nearly identical in all regards except for being filtered. He did go back and forth, with multiple tastings, having a hard time picking a winner. As the beers warmed up, his choice became more clear.

Dave had no info on the beers, or how they were brewed. All he knew was they represented my effort to brew a 5D Classic German Pilsner.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 01:31:23 pm by Bel Air Brewing »