Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black Currant juice?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Joe

• Cellarman
Black Currant juice?
« on: May 05, 2022, 11:28:47 am »
So i'm looking to make a black currant mead and I am having the hardest time finding it anywhere. Even online all I can find is Ribena. I did find www.CurrantC.com but they don't ship to my state. Has anybody had any luck? I did find some Black Currant wine base at homebrew supply but i'm not sure if that'd work.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Black Currant juice?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 02:12:52 pm »
I get mine at Festival Foods.  I've no idea how many locations they have, might only be a Midwest USA thing?
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Joe

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 02:51:41 pm »
unfortunately that appears to be a midwest chain. I wish i could get some delivered. haha

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 08:34:46 pm »
Wegmans supermarkets sell Knudsen brand black currant juice.  At least here in the mid-Atlantic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 10:38:08 am »
If there are any specialty UK/English or German shops around you they might stock it or at least be able to order it for you if you need enough to support buying an entire case. Health food stores might carry it as well or be able to order it.

Any reason why Ribena isn't an option for you? I believe they are the big seller in Europe. Outside of imports I don't think you'll find many domestic options here as black currant is not a flavor well received around here.

Any chance there might be local growers with an excess harvest sitting in their freezers?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 10:17:09 pm »
I did find some Black Currant wine base at homebrew supply but i'm not sure if that'd work.

Is there any particular reason for your concern with this?  If it's the Vintner's Best version (or something similar), it's just listed as having some additional sugar and acid added to the juice concentrates.  The SG listed is approximately 1.078.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I haven't done it so I'm not sure what ratio would be best, but you could make a partial batch of mead and then add the wine base near the end of fermentation.  For example if you're shooting for a 5 gallon batch, make a 4 gallon batch of mead as you normally would, and then add a gallon of the currant wine base (or more depending on what ratio you choose) once fermentation is a week or so in.  Let it ferment out and see what you've got.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 11:08:27 pm »
I did find some Black Currant wine base at homebrew supply but i'm not sure if that'd work.

Is there any particular reason for your concern with this?  If it's the Vintner's Best version (or something similar), it's just listed as having some additional sugar and acid added to the juice concentrates.  The SG listed is approximately 1.078.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I haven't done it so I'm not sure what ratio would be best, but you could make a partial batch of mead and then add the wine base near the end of fermentation.  For example if you're shooting for a 5 gallon batch, make a 4 gallon batch of mead as you normally would, and then add a gallon of the currant wine base (or more depending on what ratio you choose) once fermentation is a week or so in.  Let it ferment out and see what you've got.

hey sorry to hijack this, but @joe_meadmaker

thoughts on nutrient additions at 24h, 48h 72h etc for a 1.037OG mead? i added DAP and wine yeast nutrient at pitch.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 06:58:04 am »
thoughts on nutrient additions at 24h, 48h 72h etc for a 1.037OG mead? i added DAP and wine yeast nutrient at pitch.

I wouldn't even worry about staggered nutrient additions for an OG at that level.  Just add all the nutrient.  If you've already started the SNA, it won't hurt.  You just want to make sure you get all the nutrient in before the fermentation is done.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 10:56:39 am »

I wouldn't even worry about staggered nutrient additions for an OG at that level.  Just add all the nutrient.  If you've already started the SNA, it won't hurt.  You just want to make sure you get all the nutrient in before the fermentation is done.

thank you! i  figured so, ill still add another bit of nutrient at ~24hrs post visible signs.