Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP preparation?  (Read 869 times)

Offline copachino

• Cellarman
BJCP preparation?
« on: December 07, 2021, 11:19:00 am »
hi all, im not sure if this its the right place to ask but, im trying to get BJCP for mead, currently im about to make my second attemp on the online test, IMO its quite hard the online test so i believe the actual physical test will be more difficult, but the thing its that on may 22 will be a test near me so its an opportunity quite hard to come, so i dont want to miss it, i live outside USA so this type of test so near are really hard to come so.

for those who are certified or trying to, what could you recomend me to train for the test on may?,

Offline Dan Schreffler

• 1st Kit
Re: BJCP preparation?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 08:24:54 am »
For the online test I used the resources on https://www.bjcp.org/education-training/exam-preparation/mead-judge-training-study-program/
and passed on first attempt.... I'm also a professional mead maker so that helped.

I have not taken the BJCP in person test, but assuming it is like any wine certification... doing a lot of tasting, smelling, enjoying examples of various mead styles and traditions with various honeys.  Developing your nose and tastes to identify flavors and aromas of fruits, spices, and honey varieties.  And learning off flavors and aromas.  There are "off flavor" kits available for this or you to create your own (google it) off flavors/aromas in a traditional mead to build that experience.
Dan Schreffler
Space Time Mead & Cider Works
Dunmore PA

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
Re: BJCP preparation?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 06:34:07 pm »
I had made many meads by the time I took and passed the Mead exam, including my share of crappy, off-flavor meads, before I really took temperature control seriously.

If I remember correctly, the online exam was heavily weighted towards being very familiar with the Mead Style Guidelines.  Being very familiar with the style guidelines will also be key to passing the mead judging exam.  In every section of the scoresheet, in addition to describing your perceptions of the mead you are judging, it's important to comment on how those perceptions do, or do not, match up with the style of mead you are told to judge it against.

So if you do nothing else, study the style guidelines, over and over. 
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org