Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can you top crop WLP051?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline hopshead

• Cellarman
Can you top crop WLP051?
« on: September 22, 2010, 07:06:10 am »
I want to try the Cal Ale V, WLP051 to see if I like it better than WLP001. I ferment in buckets and that makes it easy for me to top crop and get more pitches from a purchase of yeast. But, I don't know what the 051 ferment looks like, will I be able to top crop it?  Also, in general tell me what your overall thoughts are for this strain of yeast.  Thanks all.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Can you top crop WLP051?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:04:10 am »
I have not used this yeast in a long, long time but IIRC it is not highly flocculative so it should make a decent top cropper.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:52:35 am »
I have not used this yeast in a long, long time but IIRC it is not highly flocculative so it should make a decent top cropper.

niet.

It is a medium to high floccer and IIRC, ryan6458 commented that he had trouble top cropping that one - you may want to PM him as I know he doesn't check in to this board a whole lot.

sorry I don't have much more to add - I am getting re-acquainted with that yeast next weekend after 4 years on non-use.

Cheers.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:04:14 am »
I may have been recalling the east coast ale. Haven't used that one in a while either. But thanks for setting me straight!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:05:53 am by majorvices »

Offline ryan6458

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »
Yeah, unfortunately it's not a top cropping strain. That's really the main advantage that Chico has over it. The upside is that it's much more flocculant. Well, that's an upside, AFAIAC.  :)