Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A clarity mystery...  (Read 4678 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
A clarity mystery...
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2022, 06:46:47 am »
There was a crop report that talked about issues with this years crop. I asked Poptop and Denny to get someone from County Malt Group on to talk about it but I haven’t seen anything yet.

“Key grain growing regions in North America experienced record-breaking, sustained heat in early summer 2021, resulting in damaged grain crops, causing elevated proteins, lower than expected yields, and fewer plump kernels. Considering these changes, it’s important for brewers to understand the tools and strategies available to them to produce the best beer possible with 2021 crop malt.

This year, we anticipate seeing increases of 1.0 – 3.0 % in the total protein in your malt.

The easiest way to address this is to use more malt, however if your equipment limits the use of additional malt, other alternatives exist such as malt extracts or sugars.

increased variability of kernel sizing can be expected this year. It’s important that brewers evaluate their crush on a regular basis…”

https://countrymaltgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Crop-Whitepaper_US.pdf
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 06:49:08 am by BrewBama »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: A clarity mystery...
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2022, 07:27:40 am »
There was a crop report that talked about issues with this years crop. I asked Poptop and Denny to get someone from County Malt Group on to talk about it but I haven’t seen anything yet.

“Key grain growing regions in North America experienced record-breaking, sustained heat in early summer 2021, resulting in damaged grain crops, causing elevated proteins, lower than expected yields, and fewer plump kernels. Considering these changes, it’s important for brewers to understand the tools and strategies available to them to produce the best beer possible with 2021 crop malt.

This year, we anticipate seeing increases of 1.0 – 3.0 % in the total protein in your malt.

The easiest way to address this is to use more malt, however if your equipment limits the use of additional malt, other alternatives exist such as malt extracts or sugars.

increased variability of kernel sizing can be expected this year. It’s important that brewers evaluate their crush on a regular basis…”

https://countrymaltgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Crop-Whitepaper_US.pdf
Interesting.  Even if I'm not sure how to attack his, at least if someone comes over to my place and asks why their glass of beer is cloudy I can point to "some kind of mixup down at the factory".   ;D  Thanks BB. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.