Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Label Peelers...check those dates!  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Label Peelers...check those dates!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2022, 09:47:46 am »
What exactly is US-56?

1056 - American Ale

Well, kinda but not exactly

My search revealed this was a substitute for 1056.

I just now emailed Label Peelers, asking them if I might exchange this yeast. This really has me scratching my head...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022, 10:16:17 am »
What exactly is US-56?

1056 - American Ale

Well, kinda but not exactly

My search revealed this was a substitute for 1056.

I just now emailed Label Peelers, asking them if I might exchange this yeast. This really has me scratching my head...

It started as 1056, but due to drying it isn't a lot like it any more.  Pretty much true of any dry yeast and it's liquid sucessor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2022, 11:28:26 am »
Heard back from Label Peelers...they have no record of this.

I checked out as a guest on this order.

narvin

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2022, 12:50:10 pm »
Heard back from Label Peelers...they have no record of this.

I checked out as a guest on this order.

This is like the time I bought those beans from a man on the street, and when I turned around, he had disappeared.  I never planted them... perhaps if you brewed with this yeast, something magical would happen.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2022, 01:44:57 pm »
Here is the response:

I checked your account and also checked your name and there are no orders from you for any yeast besides the Diamond Lager. Also, we don’t carry a US-56 yeast.

Furthermore, we are located a few miles down the road from the national supplier of all homebrew shops, LD Carlson and restock 5 days a week. So we only keep a one day supply of any of our products on hand at anytime. That way, we know that we have the freshest yeast. The US-05 is our most popular yeast and we run through it super fast and replenish it daily. There is really no now way that we could have had a 15 year expired yeast on hand at anytime.

This is highly questionable, as at least one or more of my previous Diamond purchases had Label Peelers sell yeast that was within a few weeks of the expiration date. I do not buy their story. And might not buy their yeast.

This particular order contained Diamond, and the other yeasts mentioned. They all came in a plain white plastic pouch. I simply threw it in the fridge as the yeast was not needed immediately. It was only after opening the package that I got a big surprise...September - 2007.

Just a heads up to all of you who purchase from Label Peelers. Buyer beware.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 02:19:32 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 02:57:29 pm »
I will never understand why a company would risk alienating a customer over 50 cents worth of yeast...

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2022, 03:35:02 pm »
I will never understand why a company would risk alienating a customer over 50 cents worth of yeast...

Me too. And I have gone back through all of my other online orders...morebeer.com. AIH.com, etc. There is no order for any yeast.

As stated, the only online store I have ordered yeast from is Label Peelers. And I only buy liquid yeast from local supply stores.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2022, 10:33:52 pm »
You could add it to the last 15 minutes of the boil as a yeast nutrient (effectiveness which has been debated ad nauseam). I use bakers yeast and psychologically I think it helps.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2022, 04:08:35 am »
that's insane. I would definitely complain if you haven't already. I've used LP before and thought they were good. I'd be doubly careful to use them now.

That said, I would be curious as hell to know if the yeast was still viable. Send me a pack and I'll test it so that you don't have to waste a batch.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2022, 06:36:07 am »
You could add it to the last 15 minutes of the boil as a yeast nutrient (effectiveness which has been debated ad nauseam). I use bakers yeast and psychologically I think it helps.
This is true; some yeast strains tend to be rather insecure, and pairing them with an inferior or older yeast raises their confidence.  Likewise with some lazy strains; by giving them a competitor, they realize they have to fight harder to survive, and they work better.  It's all about motivation with some yeasts.  Playing mind games with them is key to a good fermentation.   ;D

#TedLassoBrewing   

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2022, 07:34:50 am »
Archeologist: finds 400 year old beer and says lets culture the yeast and use it!

Homebrewer: uh oh, this yeast packet expired yesterday. Better throw it out.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2022, 12:08:57 pm »
that's insane. I would definitely complain if you haven't already. I've used LP before and thought they were good. I'd be doubly careful to use them now.

That said, I would be curious as hell to know if the yeast was still viable. Send me a pack and I'll test it so that you don't have to waste a batch.

The check is in the mail. Thanks for waiving the late charge.

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2022, 07:17:56 am »
I don't intend to bash any (business), but a few years ago I went into LP for the first time. The person helping me was friendly and when discussing malt we walked into the back warehouse area to check out their offerings. There were 3-4 pallets of hops sitting at one end of the room, unrefrigerated. There were a number of small coolers that were all stocked with yeast and if there were any walk in's that the hops were ultimately going to be stored in I didn't see them. This was summer so it had to be 75 degrees or more in the room, that kind of turned me off to sourcing ingredients from them. I *think* they were a relatively new supplier at that time, so perhaps they now have cold storage, but I've never been back.
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2022, 07:25:22 am »
I don't intend to bash any (business), but a few years ago I went into LP for the first time. The person helping me was friendly and when discussing malt we walked into the back warehouse area to check out their offerings. There were 3-4 pallets of hops sitting at one end of the room, unrefrigerated. There were a number of small coolers that were all stocked with yeast and if there were any walk in's that the hops were ultimately going to be stored in I didn't see them. This was summer so it had to be 75 degrees or more in the room, that kind of turned me off to sourcing ingredients from them. I *think* they were a relatively new supplier at that time, so perhaps they now have cold storage, but I've never been back.

Very interesting. They claim quick turn around on their stock. I find that nearly impossible to believe.