Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cleaning shirron plate chiller  (Read 3036 times)

Offline jared long

• 1st Kit
cleaning shirron plate chiller
« on: October 05, 2010, 02:00:19 pm »
greetings...

a question regarding proper cleaning of a shirron plate chiller...

1) i've been pumping my chiller full of a hot (150 degrees or so) PBW solution after brewing and letting that soak until my next brew session (often for a week) and then flushing that out with 180 degree water prior to using it again.  is there any risk to letting a PBW solution sit in the chiller for an extended time?

many thanks!

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
Re: cleaning shirron plate chiller
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 08:38:14 am »
I know that Blichmann (in regards to the Therminator) recommends you don't store it with StarSan but does not specifically mention PBW.  SInce I am usually using PBW on the brew kettle and have StarSans in a bucket post sanitizing the fermentors I pump PBW through the plate chiller for a while, then the StarSans and finally some clean water.  I then store it as recommended.  Prior to using again, I will run StarSans through it (simply recirculating it back into a bucket). 

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 02:29:29 am »
Do Not leave PBW sitting in your Heat Exchanger.  To properly clean a Heat Exchanger (whether it's a Shirron or a Blichmann) back flush with hot water to remove any chunks of plant matter.  Continue to back flush with PBW for a few minutes and then flush with cold water for 3 - 4 minutes more.  The next time you go to use your exchanger, run your sanitizer through and you're good to go.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:37:59 am »
I know star san's surficants will eventually come out of solution and leave a white gunky film... potentially clogging up the plate chiller's passage ways.  I do not know the effects of PBW's surfficants, however, being an oxidative cleaner, I suspect extremely long term contact with stainless is not adviseable.  While stainless is resistant to oxidation, it is not 100% impervious to it, and if you leave it in contact with an oxidative cleaner "forever" my guess is that you will see negative effects in the long run.

Also, if the inner workings of the plate chiller are aluminium or copper, then PBW is really not good for long term contact.

-- Wingnut - Cheers!