Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keezer/Inkbird Failure  (Read 893 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Keezer/Inkbird Failure
« on: April 18, 2022, 07:08:26 am »
Impromptu brew day today, all good until I opened my keezer to retrieve my hops and I noticed that 2 kegs had erupted with beer and were frozen. Actually turns out that about 3/4ths of my kegs were frozen solid. Also had some yeast slurries I had collected from previous fermentations. Those are probably ruined.

So, anyone have an idea as to why this happened? I was thinking that there was a power loss/surge but the inkbird was on and set to my settings so that may not be the reason.

I have unplugged the inkbird in the hope of resetting it and after the keezer defrosts I will plug in and see what happens!!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Keezer/Inkbird Failure
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 07:55:30 am »
Things work until they quit working. Nothing lasts forever.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 08:02:57 am »
Things work until they quit working. Nothing lasts forever.

Right?? I hope that's not the case!!

narvin

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 08:18:54 am »
I don't have an inkbird but I've had another temperature controller fail that way because one of the leads to the probe became loose.  Can you open it up and check that connection?

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 08:24:34 am »
I don't have an inkbird but I've had another temperature controller fail that way because one of the leads to the probe became loose.  Can you open it up and check that connection?

Just looked and there are 4 screws on the back side. That is an option if a reset doesn't work. Reset consisted of unplugging for 30 mins and deleting/resetting parameters. Will plug keezer back into inkbird once everything thaws and reaches a temp above 40.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 11:40:19 am »
 I doubt it was your Inkbird that failed, probably your keezer compressor control screwed up.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 04:20:08 pm »
Update
After unplugging the keezer and letting my kegs thaw I reset the inkbird parameters, plugged back in, but to no avail. Although the inkbird powered on and allowed me too reset it would not override. So for $35 I had a new one in 2 days ( keezer was still registering 35* with an appliance thermometer) set it up and its running as expected.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 07:58:19 am »
I doubt it was your Inkbird that failed, probably your keezer compressor control screwed up.

Actually, this may not be accurate.  In a Cooling and Heating setup, the heating and cooling system(s) gets its power directly from the Inkbird.  So, if the Inkbird says “Run”, the system runs.  So, it sounds to me like the problem was in the Inkbird, as the OP has said.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Terry Quinn

• 1st Kit
  • TQuinn
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 10:09:39 am »
Get this chest freezer, it also controls as a refrigerator and holds the kegs without having to make a collar.
Whirlpool® 16 cu. ft. White Chest Freezer
Model Number: WZC5216LW