Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using Brett/Cleaning Equipment  (Read 542 times)

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Using Brett/Cleaning Equipment
« on: May 07, 2022, 07:13:30 am »
I am fermenting with Brettanomyces yeast for the first time right now. It is one of the Omega blends and I am using an SS Brewtech Brew Bucket and will keg in a corny. What I want to know is how should I clean afterward to avoid an lingering Brett.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Using Brett/Cleaning Equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 08:30:32 am »
I just do my normal cleaning with Craftmeister alkaline, but I'm far from an expert on it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Using Brett/Cleaning Equipment
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 10:27:23 am »
Alkaline sanitizers and heat are the best methods at least on a homebrewing scale. Thoroughly clean and then take your pick of options for what is safe for your equipment. SS will hold up to hot water and non-bleach alkaline sanitizers but with any tubes and gaskets you'll want to be more moderate with heat and rely on the sanitizers to do the work.

Starsan and other common homebrewing acid-based sanitizers are generally not great at killing yeast--especially not acid tolerant yeast--unless you get into high concentrations which might damage plastic and rubber pieces. Far easier to use an alkaline sanitizer at normal strength and get the job done.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing