Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Foam Control (FermCap S)  (Read 376 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Foam Control (FermCap S)
« on: March 03, 2024, 05:53:05 am »
I saw a recent advertisement for this product (FermCap S).  Has anyone ever used it?  I have had periodic blow-outs during fermentation and according to the description, this product eliminates them.  Does it work?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 05:55:36 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Foam Control (FermCap S)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 06:29:18 am »
I saw a recent advertisement for this product (FermCap S).  Has anyone ever used it?  I have had periodic blow-outs during fermentation and according to the description, this product eliminates them.  Does it work?
I used to use it to prevent boilovers, but stopped due to perceived issues with head formation and retention. I find it easier to diligently watch the start of the boil.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 06:58:29 am »
I use it. Just don't put too much in. I use 1 - 2 drops max in my 7.5 gallon boil. I stir well and it seems to work fine. I do have an issue with the best before date. Like, there isn't one. I have had mine for 5 years and am thinking that is too long. Should I toss it and buy another bottle?

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 08:20:13 am »
I used to use it to prevent boilovers, but stopped due to perceived issues with head formation and retention. I find it easier to diligently watch the start of the boil.

Although there are a lot of pro brewers that use it, I do not use it at home.  I agree with Jeffy on keeping a close eye on the boil when it starts and I use a squirt bottle with cold water in it to knock down the foaming in the kettle when needed (learned that from John Blichmann years ago).  I also do not use Fermcap S in the fermenter.  If there is enough head space in the fermenter there should not be a lot of blowoff.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 08:22:57 am »
It was all the rage 15-20 years ago. Used it a long time before deciding I didn't really need it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 08:48:56 am »
I use one drop when boiling starter wort. It all but eliminates foam and chances of boil overs. My kettles and fermenters have enough capacity I don't need to worry about them.

I've never seen any impact on head formation or retention.

If kept refrigerated it will remain viable for several years. Problem is, you don't know how long or what conditions it was stored before you got it.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 08:52:45 am »
I use it every brew day. Wouldn't be without it.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 10:24:23 am »
I use one drop when boiling starter wort. It all but eliminates foam and chances of boil overs. My kettles and fermenters have enough capacity I don't need to worry about them.

I've never seen any impact on head formation or retention.

If kept refrigerated it will remain viable for several years. Problem is, you don't know how long or what conditions it was stored before you got it.

Let me point out to those that do SNS starters that you don't want to use Fermcap. SNS depends on foam in your starter.

I just threw out a qt. bottle I'd had for 10 years or so. It had turned solid.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 07:19:55 am »
I don’t have an issue with boil over; my kettle has a 15 gallon capacity.  My issue is in the fermenter.  I have a 6.5 gallon fermenter so my head space is limited on a five gallon batch.  I don’t always blow out, but when I do, the cleanup sucks!

So, I gather, the product works, but we don’t know when it will expire, a couple drops is all that’s needed, it can be used in the starter wort and it should be kept refrigerated.

Great info!  Thanks!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 07:30:14 am »
Pretty sure the proper dosage is 2 drops/gallon.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 07:32:28 am »

Well I must have done something wrong.  I put 5 drops of this stuff into the fermenter moments before filling, thinking the FermCap would mix in the wort better.  No luck.  I had a blowout as I typically do when using OYL004.  5 gallon batch, OYL004 yeast, 6.5 gallon fermenter.   :-\

Should I have added directly on top of the wort?
Joliet, IL

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 08:54:15 am »

Well I must have done something wrong.  I put 5 drops of this stuff into the fermenter moments before filling, thinking the FermCap would mix in the wort better.  No luck.  I had a blowout as I typically do when using OYL004.  5 gallon batch, OYL004 yeast, 6.5 gallon fermenter.   :-\

Yeah I think so.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2024, 07:29:18 am »

Yeah I think so.

Okay. Thanks for the input.  I’ll try that with the next batch!  Thanks again!!
Joliet, IL