Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: “New” dry lager yeast from Morebeer  (Read 5314 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
“New” dry lager yeast from Morebeer
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2022, 06:17:06 pm »
Unfortunately, it says 500g packs. I imagine MoreBeer will have them repackage it into 11-12g packs or repackage it themselves.
I could see this:  Buy the pack.  I know I have never used the yeast before but let's roll the dice.  Measure out 11-12g and use it.  The roll up the original packaging and place it INSIDE of a vac-seal bag and seal it.  With that much yeast you could use fresh dry yeast every batch although I don't know that I would.  I like the sound of it overall and glad that they gave us the origin of it.  Seems like it would make a nice lager.
You just described how I ferment every beer: one trip dry yeast.

I bought a 500g Bry- 97 in Apr 2020.  I *think* I paid $96.00 but it’s not on my invoice. It’s $166 now. I pitch whatever the pitch rate calculator tells me to for the SG, ferment temp, and volume of wort. I have ~130g remaining.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 07:30:28 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: “New” dry lager yeast from Morebeer
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2022, 09:17:16 pm »
You just described how I ferment every beer: one trip dry yeast.

I bought a 500g Bry- 97 in Apr 2020.  I *think* I paid $96.00 but it’s not on my invoice. It’s $166 now. I pitch whatever the pitch rate calculator tells me to for the SG, ferment temp, and volume of wort. I have ~130g remaining.
Sounds reasonable and inline with your brewing practices and standards.  I would wonder if there was a benefit of pitching some slurry from batch 1 into batch 2 or if it would be better to use fresh yeast each time.  Not sure on that but with SO much yeast at your disposal...
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2022, 02:24:23 am »
Seems likely that most/all of the CellarScience is indeed AEB dry yeast:

https://www.aeb-group.com/us/beer/biotechnology/yeasts

So far have tried the “Berlin” and “German”(AEB W I’m guessing). Results have been fantastic. Looking forward to trying the “Baja” soon.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 03:20:20 am by MDL »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2022, 06:49:26 am »

So far have tried the “Berlin” and “German”(AEB W I’m guessing). Results have been fantastic. Looking forward to trying the “Baja” soon.
That's encouraging. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2022, 09:50:05 am »

Any guesses on the origin of Cellar Science Cali? Is it Bry-97 or US-05 or something else? I didn’t see an obvious match in the AEB yeast selection. Cellar Science Cali is usually cheaper than the Bry-97. I used Cali once with good results but haven’t tried it again.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2022, 12:05:19 pm »

Any guesses on the origin of Cellar Science Cali? Is it Bry-97 or US-05 or something else? I didn’t see an obvious match in the AEB yeast selection. Cellar Science Cali is usually cheaper than the Bry-97. I used Cali once with good results but haven’t tried it again.

FermoAle AY-4?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2022, 01:40:06 pm »
Ok...just got off the phone with Pierce, at More Beer.

This product is still in development. And Cellar Science does work with the other yeast labs, repackaging their product.

He basically has no info on this product. None.

That term "Baja"? Means nothing.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2022, 03:38:50 pm »
Here is their response:

Thank you for your inquiry. This yeast strain is also known as Fermolager Crisp. Cellar Science is a brand of repackaged dried yeast and the strains are typically sourced from European labs and companies. We are currently working on bringing on this strain in the smaller size. We do not have an ETA right now, but hope it will be available soon in the 12g size.

Has anyone heard of Fermolager Crisp?

It's produced by something called AEB Group and here is their description:

Dry active bottom fermenting yeast strain carefully selected for fermentation of lagers with distinctive crisp finish.

Versatile bottom fermenting yeast for production of crisp lagers with remarkable clean character. Originally from Mexico City, this excellent strain allows a harmonious expression of malt & hops notes, while confering a well-balanced palate with drinkability & dry finish. It efficiently attenuate at low end of lager temperature range. An excellent yeast strain for fermentation of supreme lagers.

“Baja” refers to this,no?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2022, 07:06:37 pm »

FermoAle AY-4?
That’s probably it. Thanks.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2022, 05:29:54 pm »
I pitched 12g of Cellar Science English into 4.5 gal of 1.048 wort and see absolutely no sign of life after 24 hrs. I was looking forward to trying Cellar Science strains but if this is any indication of their yeast then I believe I’ll pass. I am accustomed to English Ale yeast starting and finishing fast. 

Offline pv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2022, 08:28:36 am »
Description from the MoreBeer site: "If you're looking for a cold fermenting yeast with a neutral character, BAJA from CellarScience is the perfect candidate. Originally developed and popularized by the Modelo Group, this Mexican yeast strain will produce clean, crisp lagers and finishes dry."  And the reference to Diamond Lager is under the "Questions For Similar Products" section.  $109.99 for a 500g brick, still too much for me to experiment with.  Will be interested when this is sold in 12g or so packs.
Upstate South Carolina

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2022, 08:45:51 am »
It appears that MoreBeer is expecting to have some 12g packets available for purchase "soon." 

Whenever that means... 

My basement won't be back down to lagering temps until December, so hopefully they get it for us before then.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2022, 11:00:11 am »
Description from the MoreBeer site: "If you're looking for a cold fermenting yeast with a neutral character, BAJA from CellarScience is the perfect candidate. Originally developed and popularized by the Modelo Group, this Mexican yeast strain will produce clean, crisp lagers and finishes dry."  And the reference to Diamond Lager is under the "Questions For Similar Products" section.  $109.99 for a 500g brick, still too much for me to experiment with.  Will be interested when this is sold in 12g or so packs.

Hey all - It appears that MoreBeer now has the small [12g] packets of Baja lager yeast available.  Just don't wipe them out before I get mine, please.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2024, 09:21:31 am »
The mention of "Modelo Group" has me very interested now.  Yesterday I made a 1.5 liter (SNS) starter with an old package of Omega 113 Mexican.  If it's Friday evening (4/5) and my starter has NOT taken off, I will try to use these two 12g packets of Baja I have in my fridge. 
Ken from Chicago.