Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cheating at Coconut  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Cheating at Coconut
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2022, 04:01:20 pm »
Added a second charge of coconut today.

3 gallon batch.
First addition - 7oz toasted organic, unsweetened coconut at flameout and steeped for about 50 minutes as the wort was cooling to pitch temp.  (Little effect)
Second addition - 7oz toasted organic, unsweetened coconut as a “dry hop”, post fermentation, in primary.

I will be kegging this beer either Wednesday or Thursday.  Unfortunately, Life is going to dictate how long the coconut dry hop gets to do it’s thing.  Either 3 or 4 days.  If the flavor is still lacking, I will add a keg addition of either coconut extract or coconut rum.  Not sure which yet.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022, 08:07:18 am »
Kegged the beer this morning.

While the coconut aroma was mild at best, the flavor was clear and present.  Taste of this Porter was slightly sweet and coconuty.  So I'm hopeful, deciding to err on the side of caution and not add a cheater to the keg.  If the coconut fades by the time this is all carbed up, I can always add a smidge of Coconut Rum to the glass, but I don't think it will be necessary.  At least not at first, maybe if it sits for 2, 3, 4 weeks...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2022, 08:32:16 am »
I don't understand why it's cheating
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2022, 08:39:22 am »

It's not.
It's just a shameless use of language by me in order to cause a strong reaction and possibly coax a few replies.   :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2022, 09:03:53 am »

It's not.
It's just a shameless use of language by me in order to cause a strong reaction and possibly coax a few replies.   :)

;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 09:57:56 am »

While the coconut aroma was mild at best, the flavor was clear and present.  Taste of this Porter was slightly sweet and coconuty.  So I'm hopeful, deciding to err on the side of caution and not add a cheater to the keg.  If the coconut fades by the time this is all carbed up, I can always add a smidge of Coconut Rum to the glass, but I don't think it will be necessary.  At least not at first, maybe if it sits for 2, 3, 4 weeks...

In my experience adding coconut anywhere on the hot side or during fermentation gives me negligible results. For the most impact and for the freshest flavor and aroma I add all of it post fermentation prior to kegging. Adjust the quantity to suit your taste. 🥥🍺

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2022, 10:09:09 am »

It's not.

;D
There's a Florida homebrew competition called the Coconut Cup and every time I see this topic come up I think somebody is cheating at that competition.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2022, 10:40:46 am »

In my experience adding coconut anywhere on the hot side or during fermentation gives me negligible results. For the most impact and for the freshest flavor and aroma I add all of it post fermentation prior to kegging. Adjust the quantity to suit your taste. 🥥🍺

That is exactly what I learned from all of this.  And I will wait to taste the finished beer to see if I added too much or not enough post fermentation. 
What has been your experience with the staying power of the coconut flavor?  I'm assuming it will mellow and then fade completely with time.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2022, 10:57:25 am »

how's the head on the beer? that is something i've always wondered about adding say coconut pieces or other things like that

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2022, 11:07:37 am »

how's the head on the beer? that is something i've always wondered about adding say coconut pieces or other things like that

Just kegged it this morning.  First pour will probably be late next week.  I'm a bit curious myself as to head, head retention and lacing.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2022, 01:53:18 pm »

That is exactly what I learned from all of this.  And I will wait to taste the finished beer to see if I added too much or not enough post fermentation. 
What has been your experience with the staying power of the coconut flavor?  I'm assuming it will mellow and then fade completely with time.

It's a lot like dry hops in IPA, it does mellow and fade with time but doesn't completely go away. Like IPA, the fresher the better.

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2022, 02:04:01 pm »

Just kegged it this morning.  First pour will probably be late next week.  I'm a bit curious myself as to head, head retention and lacing.

I hear this a lot. In my experience I haven't had any problems with head retention. But I always toast the coconut first, which draws out the oil and leaves it behind, in addition to improving the aroma. I've used this technique commercially and at home with great success. YMMV of course.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2022, 07:32:43 pm »
First taste, 8 days after kegging:

Aroma is chocolate Porter with notes of toasted coconut.  Admittedly, the coconut might be missed if you aren’t looking for it, but it’s there.
Taste has a clear toasted coconut flavor, followed by a nice English Porter chocolate/caramel flavor. 
Head and foam retention are average, moderate lacing on the glass.

Really enjoying this beer.  Nit-picking, I *might* reconsider toasting the coconut.  It’s funny how obvious it is that the coconut was toasted.  And I only slightly colored the pure white coconut, just pushing the edges to brown.  The coconut sweetness has disappeared, leaving a baked, browned coconut flavor.  It’s very good, and I suppose it’s appropriate given this is a Porter, but now I’m really wondering how a sweeter flavor might mesh?? 

Maybe next time I’ll toast half the coconut, leave the other half pure?  Maybe I could add a bit more than 7ozs as a dry hop?   

Definitely will be making this again. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2022, 08:37:53 pm »
check for premade coconut flavourings. i had a coconut water recently that just had the kind of bright, in your face character that i took for coconut flavouring added. it was totally great tasting though, not artificial at all.