Author Topic: Transferring wort from Kettle to Fermenter  (Read 1303 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Transferring wort from Kettle to Fermenter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2022, 07:59:30 am »
I pump until the bottom of the kettle is covered with trub. I know some goes into the fermenter but not a lot. Doesn't seem detrimental.
I drain, not pump, but otherwise same here. I eyeball the racking arm until I'm sucking trub and stop at that point. I ferment in a keg with a floating dip tube, so I don't have to worry about racking any trub into the serving keg.

FWIW, except for a dry hopped IPA, I wouldn't think twice about repitching from a beer that has some kettle trub in it. If it didn't hurt the first batch, its not going to hurt the second.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2022, 12:19:34 pm »
Let trub settle after boil and immersion cooling. Open drain valve. At the end, I might tilt the kettle to get the most wort possible but once I see trub getting suspended and approaching the drain valve I stop. 

Offline brewthru

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 03:00:03 pm »
Easiest for me. A clean and sanitized paint strainer bag over a clean and sanitized plastic food grade bucket marked with gallons and 1/2 gallons. When I've collected enough in the plastic food grade bucket transfer the paint strainer to another clean and stanitized plastic food grade bucket and strain while I pour the first bucket into my fermenter.

Offline DBhomebrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2022, 06:51:12 am »
I've tried the whole hop bag on the end of racking cane. It helped, except for when it didn't and then it was a bigger PITA than when it worked. Losing 1/2-3/4 gallon to the hop bed was seriously cutting into my brewlength.

Now, I use a 200 micron bucket top paint strainer.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07B6C2H9T/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_2N7ZNR3JCEMYZZ86SDBF

Absolutely everything gets poured into it over my bottling bucket. Ten minutes later all that's left on top in the strainer is a wasabi-like paste of trub and hop matter.

I now get a pint or so over four gallons into the fermenter of clean trub-free wort out of a five gallon kettle. I used to get a fairly trubby 3.75G on a good day.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 06:53:26 am by DBhomebrew »