Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Marzen water profile?  (Read 2470 times)

narvin

Re: Marzen water profile?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 03:52:34 pm »

The Noble hop/Sulfate lore is ONE MAN'S OPINION and its not factual nor supported.  I apologize for not having enough data to refute that mention in the Water Book when we were editing it.  I just went along with it at the time.  …

So now we have two men’s opinions unsupported by facts.

I recommend trying both to see what works best.  As I said I use only CaCl in Märzen and like the results. So… I guess three opinions.

To be fair, I think saying that you cannot use noble hops with water that contains sulfate as a rule demands a higher burden of proof.  By all means, try it and see what you like.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 07:00:36 pm »

The Noble hop/Sulfate lore is ONE MAN'S OPINION and its not factual nor supported.  I apologize for not having enough data to refute that mention in the Water Book when we were editing it.  I just went along with it at the time.  …

I recommend trying both to see what works best.  As I said I use only CaCl in Märzen and like the results. So… I guess three opinions.

To be fair, I think saying that you cannot use noble hops with water that contains sulfate as a rule demands a higher burden of proof.  By all means, try it and see what you like.
Not to steer too far off course, but if Sulfate + Noble Hops didn't work, then German Pils wouldn't be a style
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Marzen water profile?
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 08:05:54 pm »

By saying “Since Märzen is a malty beer that uses noble hops, I only use CaCl in it.” does not mean all beers with nobles hops can’t use sulfates as a rule. It means I don’t use sulfates in malty styles with nobles hops. I use CaCl in malty styles with nobles hops.

Not to steer too far off course, but if Sulfate + Noble Hops didn't work, then German Pils wouldn't be a style

I don’t consider Pils a malty style. Just me I guess.

To be clear: I did not say “Noble hops can't be paired with any sulfate.” So…
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:15:19 pm by BrewBama »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2022, 08:20:41 pm »

By saying “Since Märzen is a malty beer that uses noble hops, I only use CaCl in it.” does not mean all beers with nobles hops can’t use sulfates as a rule. It means I don’t use sulfates in malty styles with nobles hops. I use CaCl in malty styles with nobles hops.

just so brewbama is aware, i saw the original reply, re-read your post and did not take away from your post that you claimed noble hops cant be used with sulfate. i trust your perception that you choose to go with just CaCL in a few beers, and its another thing im happy to think over.

narvin

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2022, 05:18:57 am »

True, I think Martin was disputing a rule that wasn't explicitly stated here.   It may have been implied in the recipe:

Generally, German and Czech styles get CaCl, British styles get gypsum, and American styles get a combination CaCl + gypsum.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Marzen water profile?
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2022, 07:46:07 am »
Could be .  Generally, that’s what I do. …with exceptions.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 07:49:42 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2022, 08:31:58 am »

I came to say just that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2022, 06:37:15 am »
In case it's not obvious, Narziss book has advice for all German beer styles in recipe, bitterness, dH water profile, and mashing profile.

It's in German of course, but with Google translate and a bit of effort you have a book you can refer to for the rest of your life.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson