Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Only Trappist Brewery in U.S. Closing  (Read 2342 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Only Trappist Brewery in U.S. Closing
« on: May 15, 2022, 06:22:29 am »
The monks at St. Joseph’s Abbey in Spencer Ma announced yesterday that they have decided that brewing is not a viable business for them going forward and are closing Spencer Brewery.
This is a loss to the beer world and I am a little extra sad because I grew up near the Abbey and have some connections to it.
They still have beer in stores so I am going to stock up, especially on their Quad which I love in the colder months.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

Re: Only Trappist Brewery in U.S. Closing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 07:14:28 am »
Though I am not a huge fan of Belgian Beer, I am sad to see the brewery close.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 07:24:46 am »
They actually don’t exclusively make Belgian styles. They have a Pilsner I like, they do a NEIPA and more.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 08:23:36 am »
Which points out once again that brewing is first and foremost a business.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 08:58:04 am »
I was just thinking at a bottle shop the other day that I should buy some of their beers after realizing I've never tried anything from them. That's surprising because I'm a big fan of Belgian beers. I guess I really need to go buy their beers before it's too late.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 10:07:50 am »
I hadn't heard this yet.  Thanks for posting.  Sad news.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 02:00:05 pm »
People in the US aren't drinking Belgians any longer. You better have a hazy NEIPA or some (nasty) fruited sour in your beer lineup or it's going to be harder to succeed.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 02:05:15 pm »
People in the US aren't drinking Belgians any longer. You better have a hazy NEIPA or some (nasty) fruited sour in your beer lineup or it's going to be harder to succeed.

Well, some of us are!  But, yeah, not the trendy style any more.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 02:22:21 pm »
Too bad, I never had the chance to visit. 

Offline BrewBama

Only Trappist Brewery in U.S. Closing
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2022, 02:26:45 pm »
I haven’t had a lot of hazy IPA but I like them. Tons of hop flavor without the bitterness. I can see the attraction. They’ve always been an out on the town beer for me but I need to learn to brew one.

I can’t stand sour beers and I didn’t like Belgian beers even while visiting Belgium. I always attributed it to not choosing the right ones.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 04:36:27 pm »

I like Hazies and I like Belgians.  But I’ve had far more awful, undrinkable Belgians than NEIPA’s.  I’ve also had a few Belgians that were otherworldly, though I can’t say I’ve ever experienced the same magic with a hazy.  My two cents.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 04:40:45 pm »

I haven’t had a lot of hazy IPA but I like them. Tons of hop flavor without the bitterness. I can see the attraction. They’ve always been an out on the town beer for me but I need to learn to brew one.

I can’t stand sour beers and I didn’t like Belgian beers even while visiting Belgium. I always attributed it to not choosing the right ones.

truly, i've found out that people's tastebuds are different. not just "i like X/dont like Y" but they actually perceive things differently. so i wouldnt imagine or try to change anyone's mind on their choice in beer.

i get a tannins and hop-burn from hazy IPAs and simply don't like a lot of aspects about them.

i like belgians a lot

I like Hazies and I like Belgians.  But I’ve had far more awful, undrinkable Belgians than NEIPA’s.  I’ve also had a few Belgians that were otherworldly, though I can’t say I’ve ever experienced the same magic with a hazy.  My two cents.

what are the issues with undrinkable belgians? homebrewed ones? too syrupy sweet? just curious.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 05:49:53 pm »

truly, i've found out that people's tastebuds are different. not just "i like X/dont like Y" but they actually perceive things differently. so i wouldnt imagine or try to change anyone's mind on their choice in beer.

i get a tannins and hop-burn from hazy IPAs and simply don't like a lot of aspects about them.

i like belgians a lot

what are the issues with undrinkable belgians? homebrewed ones? too syrupy sweet? just curious.
This is just my opinion, and I’m certainly no Belgian expert.

I find some either too heavy, malty, unbalanced, too alcoholic, overly fruity or spicy, or just undrinkable in the sense that a few sips are more than enough.

Don’t mistake me, when done a certain way (that is, a way that I like), I find them super enjoyable.

From memory, Orval might be my favorite.  But I recently had a Rochefort 8 that I found incredibly underwhelming.

I guess this just speaks to my personal tastes and nothing else.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 07:24:05 pm »
Spencer actually did have a NEIPA and at least one sour. They even had a pumpkin ale.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 08:14:01 pm »
Spencer actually did have a NEIPA and at least one sour. They even had a pumpkin ale.
Yeah, but with the beer market being what it is right now, it makes me wonder if they should have focused on their niche a bit more. Their IPAs and pilsner are all decent beer, but if I'm getting an IPA it isn't going to be from Spencer. I don't know if they would have been able to survive in the current environment on a Belgian/Trappist beer lineup, but it was probably their best shot. That being said, I will miss their beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer