Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Only Trappist Brewery in U.S. Closing  (Read 2291 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Only Trappist Brewery in U.S. Closing
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2022, 07:30:49 am »
At less than 10k barrels a year they were spending a ton shipping beer. It starts to explain the price point.

Of course back in the early days breweries had to distribute wide to sell their beer. Then over time as craft beer interest increased they began to pull back distribution close to home. I can only think of a handful of breweries who still distribute in multiple states with somewhat low production levels.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2022, 08:33:19 am »
Which points out once again that brewing is first and foremost a business.
Not at my house! ;)

Are you a commercial brewer? If not, that doesn't apply to you, or to me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2022, 09:15:48 am »
Emojipedia

;)
Emoji Meaning
A yellow face with a slight smile or open mouth shown winking, usually its left eye. May signal a joke, flirtation, hidden meaning, or general positivity. Tone varies, including playful, affectionate, suggestive, or ironic.

Not to be confused with the more mischievous or sexual 😏 Smirking Face.

I'm thinking tommy was going for "joke".  I thought it was funny. 

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2022, 09:25:20 am »
Their beer was lost in a sea of choices in most stores. Take NC for example, we have 350 breweries. Spencer's price point was higher than others for styles you can typically find somewhere else for less. Having to rely on widespread distribution to be successful isn't sustainable. The key to success for most today are local sales driving revenue.
I am a lapsed Catholic. Sometimes after mass they would sell stuff to raise money. They should sold their beer after mass as you walked out. They would have made stacks of cash!
They mainly do mass for themselves (starting at 3:00 a.m. I think). There are a few pews for the public but only a few people are there at any given service.
I am a very lapsed Catholic myself but my oldest brother worked there up until the pandemic running their gift shop and he almost became a monk there in the 80's. They didn't even sell their beer in the gift shop, which would have done well I believe.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2022, 09:26:40 am »
They didn't want to open a tasting room and allow outsiders in according to the article. Almost every brewery in the US has a taproom today. That's probably a major reason they didn't make it, that and trying to distribute too far and wide.

When they first launched we had their beer everywhere in Alabama. First time I had it was at a brewfest in Birmingham (AL). They definitely started strong with the distributor game.
When they started out Chimay used their clout with distributors to help them get widely distributed.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2022, 06:53:01 pm »
That's crappy news.  I was pleased to see a Spencer sign up at my favorite local bar when I was there a couple weeks back (I don't go out much).

That said, when I bought their beer in Newport it was WAY overcarbonated, which made me think infected. 

I suppose I liked them more as a concept than as a brewery...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton