Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mixed Yeast Fermentation - Chris White  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Mixed Yeast Fermentation - Chris White
« on: April 29, 2022, 08:02:25 pm »
Here is an excellent podcast with Chris White, of White Labs.
He talks extensively about yeast blends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlXX6wqwTwM&t=743s&ab_channel=BradSmith

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mixed Yeast Fermentation - Chris White
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 08:10:24 am »

My own experience is that it's a crap shoot. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 09:38:36 am »

The only reason I ever mix yeasts is if I don't have enough of one kind to do the fermentation.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 11:19:10 am »

The only reason I ever mix yeasts is if I don't have enough of one kind to do the fermentation.
If you're looking for repeatability, predictability, and repitching through multiple generations, then yeast blends aren't the optimal solution for you. There are situations where they can be useful, however. In particular, when one yeast has the flavor characteristics you're looking for, but not the desired fermentation performance (either attenuation or flocculation). I use Windsor plus either Notty or BRY-97 to get the flavor from Windsor with a bit more attenuation, and it seems to work pretty well for what I'm looking for.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 11:48:26 am »

If you're looking for repeatability, predictability, and repitching through multiple generations, then yeast blends aren't the optimal solution for you. There are situations where they can be useful, however. In particular, when one yeast has the flavor characteristics you're looking for, but not the desired fermentation performance (either attenuation or flocculation). I use Windsor plus either Notty or BRY-97 to get the flavor from Windsor with a bit more attenuation, and it seems to work pretty well for what I'm looking for.
When do you add the Notty/Bry-97? After the Windsor stops fermenting or sooner?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 12:57:23 pm »

I've tried waiting to add the second yeast, but I honestly didn't notice a considerable difference compared to copitching them at the same time. I just pitch them together now for simplicity's sake
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

narvin

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 01:31:46 pm »
Is the convention wisdom still that Treehouse uses various blends of dry yeast strains in every batch?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 03:14:54 pm »

I've tried waiting to add the second yeast, but I honestly didn't notice a considerable difference compared to copitching them at the same time. I just pitch them together now for simplicity's sake
I’ve tried Windsor and Notty copitched. The fruit flavors were nice and the beer was quite dry. I prefer slightly less attenuation.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 04:44:29 pm »
Chris White mentioned that a few home brew supply houses are asking for blended yeast strains for online retail. Most notably, More Beer. And White mentioned there are 100+ craft breweries now pitching blended yeast strains.
I guess it is working quite well for these folks.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 09:59:22 pm »
i've got something with 2x BRY97s and 1x BE256 going right now. i'll let you know when i taste it

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 06:09:36 am »
i've got something with 2x BRY97s and 1x BE256 going right now. i'll let you know when i taste it

Great!

Brewing a Czech Premium Pils this week. Very tempted to try a blend...Diamond & W-34/70. Or, Diamond and W-2124. It will be two 5 gallon batches, so there is an opportunity for some experimentation.

Or maybe 34/70 & 2124. Who knows? I am willing to "roll the dice" on this one.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 10:15:50 am »
Right now I have a biere de champagne or biere brut, whatever we've decided to call it, with a mix of S04 and the Duvel strain which is suggested to be Huyghe's blend or part of it. I don't know if that is right but the fermentation smell is dead on. Maybe not the best for clarity but it is getting several months of lagering and maybe some clarifier help.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline rtstrider

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2022, 09:36:51 am »
I know of a local brewery using a proprietary blend for their house yeast. They have yeast banked at one of the major yeast players. This was an unintentional blend and the history is extremely spotty on how the yeast made it to the brewery. I was told recently that the major player had a new hire. When building up the strain from their bank the new hire was under the impression this was a single strain. Apparently there was another strain or two picked up along the way. I have their house strain banked up in the freezer here at the house as well. I'd be curious to plate it and see how many different strains are in there. Side note I know nothing about plating and looking at yeast strains under a microscope lol. The thought is this is some mutated kolsch/german ale strain. If they/I were pressed it's agreed this was probably a derivative of a kolsch strain.  It's a VERY hardy yeast though with a very wide temperature range. It's fermented in the low 40's all the way to mid/upper 60's cleanly. The flocculation characteristics are not good though. It's a VERY low floccer but performs extremely well on the homebrew scale.