Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How sensitive is yeast to temperature change?  (Read 859 times)

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
How sensitive is yeast to temperature change?
« on: May 20, 2022, 10:46:41 pm »
I store my yeast slurry in the fridge until next brew day.  If it's more than a week, I'll feed it a day or so before brew day.  On brew day I remove it and allow it to slowly warm up to ferment temp while my wort is chilling.  I always pitch when they are the exact same temp.  Is this necessary?  I worry about shocking the yeast.  How tolerant is yeast to temperature change?
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: How sensitive is yeast to temperature change?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 12:47:09 am »
I routinely pull my yeast starters out of a 40-degree fridge, decant and pitch the slurry into 70-degree wort. Never had a problem doing this. Lag times between 4 and 6 hours are normal and terminal gravity is usually reached within 3 to 5 days of pitching, so no evidence of any negative effect.

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 06:56:37 am »
I have always gone on a 20° rule of thumb.  Never had any issues.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 08:15:58 am »
I store my yeast slurry in the fridge until next brew day.  If it's more than a week, I'll feed it a day or so before brew day.  On brew day I remove it and allow it to slowly warm up to ferment temp while my wort is chilling.  I always pitch when they are the exact same temp.  Is this necessary?  I worry about shocking the yeast.  How tolerant is yeast to temperature change?

No, it is not necessary. Temp shock in pitching temps is an unfounded myth. In addition, the yeast starts using up stored nutrients 2hen it warms, and it's better to do that in your wort. My experience of years and hundreds of batches is that there's no downside to just taking it from the fridge and pitching.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 08:20:03 am »
Cool.  One more myth busted, one less thing to worry about.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 08:33:02 am »
Ive read a few times that cold yeast into warmer wort is more forgiving  than warm to cold. I get the slurry out of the fridge and let it warm a little  before pitching, but it is still cooler than the wort (for lagers it is pretty close to same temp).
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 10:17:46 am »
Ive read a few times that cold yeast into warmer wort is more forgiving  than warm to cold. I get the slurry out of the fridge and let it warm a little  before pitching, but it is still cooler than the wort (for lagers it is pretty close to same temp).
Me also!
I usually get the slurry out of the fridge when the boil starts.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan