Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another first for me.  (Read 639 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Another first for me.
« on: May 15, 2022, 10:19:35 pm »
OK, so my beer was ready to keg.  I had an extra ball lock sitting around that I was going to use for my keg washer but ended up not using it.  So, why not try something new, right?  I cleaned and sterilized a length of hose that I use to transfer beer from my fermenter to either my keg or bottles.  Cleaned and sterilized the ball lock and put a little star san on the posts.  Now, this is after I cleaned and sterilized the tap lines and tap itself and the keg all all that was going to touch the beer, so, everything got a 20 minute cleaning with my cleaning stuff, cannot for the life of me remember what it is called, then a rinse with clean water and a soak and go thru with starsan.  Anyway, sorry for rambling but wanted all to know I did my normal clean and sanitize.  Ok, where was I?  Oh yea, so I took the length of hose I had, attached the ball lock to it and hooked up the keg to the CO2 bottle and filled and purged the keg two or three times with CO2.  Put the open end of the length of tubing on the spigot of the bucket and the ball lock on the out of the keg.  Opened the spigot, opened the purge valve on the keg (never opened the keg itself after the O2 purge to keep the O2 at bay) and off it went.  Gravity did it's thing and the beer went into the keg with no issues until the end when the trub got caught up in the hose.  Closed the valve on the bucket, disconnected the ball lock and brought it all outside to clean.  Sprayed both posts again with starsan and hooked up the CO2 and the tap line.  Purged once more just in case, then put the CO2 to it at about 20PSI for now.  Will let it run at 20 for a couple of days then drop it down to my normal 10 to 12 and let it sit in the keg getting cold and happy for a week or two, then try it out.  I am hopeful as it smelled really good in the bucket.  I used a hop bag for the dry hops and it kept a huge amount of debris from going into my beer.  So that is going to be a normal practice in the future.  Anyway, sorry for the rambling and off topic parts, but I am pretty happy with the way the transfer worked out.  Now, we wait.  LOL.  Have a great day all. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Another first for me.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 06:47:44 am »
Cheers RR.  Glad you are enjoying the hobby.

If you aren't sampling your beer for a week or two, there's no need to start at 20psi and then drop down to 10-12.  Just set it at 10-12 and forget it.  It will be ready in a week.  Only go high if you are trying to carbonate the beer faster, say 1-3 days.
Just my opinion.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: Another first for me.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 07:02:24 am »
Cheers RR.  Glad you are enjoying the hobby.

If you aren't sampling your beer for a week or two, there's no need to start at 20psi and then drop down to 10-12.  Just set it at 10-12 and forget it.  It will be ready in a week.  Only go high if you are trying to carbonate the beer faster, say 1-3 days.
Just my opinion.

Will do.  I will turn it down a bit when I get home.  I figure the other one got better a few weeks in the keg, might as well let this one age and see how it goes.  Thanks for the post.