Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Modified NEIPA to survive bottle conditioning?  (Read 729 times)

Offline MississippiBrewer

• 1st Kit
Modified NEIPA to survive bottle conditioning?
« on: July 31, 2022, 08:29:11 am »
I'd like to try a NEIPA but have to bottle condition.  I also only have a glass carboy so I can't bottle from the fermentor spigot. I've read all the forums regarding oxidization in bottles.  I know most NEIPAs don't use any hops in the boil, but would it work to use a low IBU hop in the boil to perhaps provide some stability/preservation to help avoid oxidization? I'd go with the normal whirlpool and dry hop charges for the juicy component.  Maybe this wouldn't produce a pure NEIPA according to style, but would it get me something decent that I could bottle without a major chance of oxidization?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Modified NEIPA to survive bottle conditioning?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 08:33:36 am »
I don't think boil hops would prevent/reduce oxidation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 08:00:31 am »
Bottle conditioning does aid in beer longevity since the yeast activity brings the in-bottle oxygen content to zero or near zero.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

narvin

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 03:43:43 pm »
I don't think you'd really have to change the recipe much since bottle conditioning scavenges oxygen and the main hopping in a Neipa happens during active fermentation.  If you want to reduce oxygen intake at bottling, you can use a racking cane and carboy cap and push beer out with CO2 at very low pressure (1-2psi).

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 10:34:05 am »
Don't use a bottling bucket that's a sure way to oxidize a NEIPA.

Offline MississippiBrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 03:05:47 pm »
So I ended up giving this a shot. Made a basic (and cheap) 2.5 gallon batch in case things went downhill.

5 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb flaked oats
Safbrew S-33 yeast

1 oz citra and 1 oz el dorado 15 min whirlpool at 175 degrees
1 oz citra and 1 oz el dorado at day 4 dry hop

Cold crashed before bottling and bottled at day 10. I used a racking cane and bottling bucket but tried to be as gentle as possible.  Left some headspace because my bottle filler needs to do so because of displacement.  I let these carbonate until just fizzy, so about 5 days, then put the whole batch in the fridge.  The beer is 21 days old now and actually tastes pretty good! Hop aroma is great and taste is pretty true to other NEIPAs I've had.  The color is maybe on the way toward oxidization but taste is still fresh and good.  I'm pretty sure we'll drink them in time to avoid any serious degradation.  I say all this because I was able to bottle a NEIPA with some success.  I think the key is no splashing at transfer and then chilling as soon as possible once carbonation is sufficient.