Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First try and building my own recipe  (Read 4518 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
First try and building my own recipe
« on: May 26, 2022, 09:25:40 am »
So, here goes, what do you guys think? 

10lbs of Xtra Pale Malt
1lb of Wheat Malt
10oz Crystal 40l
10oz Crystal 20l

Hops I am still not sure of.  But here is what I am thinking:

.5 oz Chinook at 60 mins
1oz Cascade at 15
1oz Columbus at 15
1oz Cascade at 0
1oz Columbus at 0
2oz Cascade Dry hop after fermentation has slowed for about 5 days

Yeast is going to be BRY 97 (cause that is what I have on hand).  I might try the starter idea again, but since this is dry yeast I don't think I have to, right? 

Mash at 152 for 60 mins then sparge at 170 with remainder to make up about 6.25 or so gallons
60 mins boil and I might add the hops at 0 and up the temp a bit and do a steep with them for 15 to 20 mins. 

This batch will be bottled, so my plan is to bottle say in about a week or so and then let sit in the closet for another week or two to get carbed and maybe age a bit. 

Any thoughts on this?  Any suggestions?  Am I way off base on this one?  I have a few more extra ingredients including Melaniod (sp?)  LOL  and Carapils, but I think this is a pretty good start based on what I have read.  I am thinking this is more of an Ale than an IPA. 

Numbers in Brewfather are as follows:

OG. 1.058
FG. 1.011
ABV 6.2
IBU 60
Mash water 5.33 gallons
Sparge Water 2.11 gallons
Pre Boil Volume 6.28 gallons 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: First try and building my own recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 09:45:09 am »
I like it.  I think it will make a great beer.

Just make sure fermentation is complete before you bottle.

Good luck!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 09:54:32 am »
Recipe looks OK to me. Now explain to me why you used each ingredient.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 10:03:11 am »
Looks great! Kind of old school IPA. Wheat isn't necessary but won't hurt anything at the same time. I've seen a ton of commercial WC IPAs that list wheat as an ingredient.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 05:58:25 pm »

Partially because I have it and thought I would give it a try.  Other part is, I did some looking at hop characteristics and was looking for something a bit more on the citrus end.  And from what I read the Cascade foots that bill.  Also, I have Cascade growing in my backyard, so I wanted to try and get a go to recipe that would use them, Chinook and Columbus. 

Really, the bottom line is I have the ingredients listed, so I thought I would give it a go using what I have and doing a less bitter beer then an IPA

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 10:20:20 am »

Partially because I have it and thought I would give it a try.  Other part is, I did some looking at hop characteristics and was looking for something a bit more on the citrus end.  And from what I read the Cascade foots that bill.  Also, I have Cascade growing in my backyard, so I wanted to try and get a go to recipe that would use them, Chinook and Columbus. 

Really, the bottom line is I have the ingredients listed, so I thought I would give it a go using what I have and doing a less bitter beer then an IPA

I was more interested in an explanation of the grist than the hops

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 10:58:20 am »

Oh, OK.  Again, mostly because I have it and want to try and use it.  From the recipes I have used, the 40l and 20l seem to be pretty popular in smaller amounts.  So, I thought, OK,, let's try it.  So I plugged it into Brewfather and tried to get a lower ABV while still keeping a more amber or mid range color.  In a past post, most have warned me against using Melanoid (SP?) so I kept that out.  I have read the wheat aspect is good for the head retention, and again, I have it so what the heck.  I am trying to get a more Pale Ale type brew as most all I have done have been IPA, or at least attempts at them.  So, my thought was, this grain bill seems to be more common in the Pale Ale so why not give it a shot.  I have the Melanoid and some Carapils left over as well, and was toying with using the Cara, but opted out because I felt I had enough using the 20 and 40l. 

Any suggestions are welcomed and if my logic is flawed please say so.  But, I thought why not give it a go. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 10:59:54 am by redrocker652002 »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 11:18:07 am »
Don't overthink it.   Your recipe in the original post will make a great beer.

No need for the melanoidin or carapils.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 11:41:42 am »

Thanks, gonna give it a try and see what happens.  LOL. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 12:21:27 pm »

Oh, OK.  Again, mostly because I have it and want to try and use it.  From the recipes I have used, the 40l and 20l seem to be pretty popular in smaller amounts.  So, I thought, OK,, let's try it.  So I plugged it into Brewfather and tried to get a lower ABV while still keeping a more amber or mid range color.  In a past post, most have warned me against using Melanoid (SP?) so I kept that out.  I have read the wheat aspect is good for the head retention, and again, I have it so what the heck.  I am trying to get a more Pale Ale type brew as most all I have done have been IPA, or at least attempts at them.  So, my thought was, this grain bill seems to be more common in the Pale Ale so why not give it a shot.  I have the Melanoid and some Carapils left over as well, and was toying with using the Cara, but opted out because I felt I had enough using the 20 and 40l. 

Any suggestions are welcomed and if my logic is flawed please say so.  But, I thought why not give it a go.

I was wondering about the intent between both crystal malts.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 03:18:31 pm »

Thanks, gonna give it a try and see what happens.  LOL.

+1 Brew it!!!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 07:02:56 pm »

Is it a bad thing to have them both?  Asking in all seriousness.  My idea was that I saw enough of the recipes to think this would give it the color and a bit of flavor that would cross from the IPA to the Pale ale, but I am just reaching for what might be good.  Am I off base? 

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 06:32:04 am »

Is it a bad thing to have them both?  Asking in all seriousness.  My idea was that I saw enough of the recipes to think this would give it the color and a bit of flavor that would cross from the IPA to the Pale ale, but I am just reaching for what might be good.  Am I off base?

Denny has a saying... and I'm paraphrasing... use as many ingredients as you want as long as each of them has a purpose. That's what he's getting out. Do you have a purpose for each of those grains or are you just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 08:21:49 am »

Denny has a saying... and I'm paraphrasing... use as many ingredients as you want as long as each of them has a purpose. That's what he's getting out. Do you have a purpose for each of those grains or are you just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks.

Oh, got it.  LOL.  Partly both.  I have read and seen that some recipes use both, and since I have them I figure I would try.  In all honesty I have a recipe with both in the amounts listed but not the wheat or the Xtra pale malt, so I figured I would just kinda go with it.  Today is the day I brew it, so we will see.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2022, 08:50:05 am »
Best way to learn is to brew!

Your beer will turn out great.