Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First try and building my own recipe  (Read 4450 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: First try and building my own recipe
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2022, 02:43:57 pm »
Best way to learn is to brew!

Your beer will turn out great.

And we begin!!!!!!!!!!

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2022, 08:27:37 am »
Ok.  Not sure what I did wrong.  Beer is inthe fermenter and has been for about 12 hours.  No activity out of the airlock.  No bubbling.  I used Bry97 and cooled the wort to about 80 degrees.  One packet and stirred it up a bit after I pitched it.  The closet the bucket is in is at about 70 degrees.  What did I do wrong? 

I have another packet of yeast I might throw in there to see what happens.  My numbers were good

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2022, 08:33:57 am »
Ok.  Not sure what I did wrong.  Beer is inthe fermenter and has been for about 12 hours.  No activity out of the airlock.  No bubbling.  I used Bry97 and cooled the wort to about 80 degrees.  One packet and stirred it up a bit after I pitched it.  The closet the bucket is in is at about 70 degrees.  What did I do wrong? 

I have another packet of yeast I might throw in there to see what happens.  My numbers were good

You didn't do anything wrong.  You're just impatient. I wouldn't have pitched at that temp, but it didn't interfere with fermentation.  Sit down and wait. Also, no need to stir after pitching the yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2022, 09:54:16 am »

You didn't do anything wrong.  You're just impatient. I wouldn't have pitched at that temp, but it didn't interfere with fermentation.  Sit down and wait. Also, no need to stir after pitching the yeast.

Thanks Denny, you are absolutely right, patience is not one of my strong points.  This is my first time using this yeast, and the others started bubbling within 5 to 6 hours.  Your yeast took off like a rocket and was really going within just a few hours, so I guess I am just overthinking it.  I got nowhere to go, so in the closet it sits  That closet usually keeps a pretty nice consistent temp in the low 70's high 60's.  Thanks again for the inut, I a still learning and patience is one of my weak spots.  LOL.  RR

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2022, 10:59:48 am »

Thanks Denny, you are absolutely right, patience is not one of my strong points.  This is my first time using this yeast, and the others started bubbling within 5 to 6 hours.  Your yeast took off like a rocket and was really going within just a few hours, so I guess I am just overthinking it.  I got nowhere to go, so in the closet it sits  That closet usually keeps a pretty nice consistent temp in the low 70's high 60's.  Thanks again for the inut, I a still learning and patience is one of my weak spots.  LOL.  RR

I don't even start getting concerned til 48 hours and don't take corrective action til 72.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2022, 10:32:16 pm »
And of course as it always happens, I posted about no activity and within two or three hours it took off and is going well.  Closet has maintained temp anywhere between 68 to 72 degrees, so I think I am good.  Gonna let it do it's thing and once fermentation slows I will add the dry hop bag and let that go for 3 or 4 days.  Check gravity and prepare for bottling.  My guess is bottling will be done sometime late next week.  Patience is a virtue.  LOL. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2022, 11:11:59 am »
So far, numbers are:

OG 1.050 into the fermenter
Gravity after about 5 days fermenting 1.016
I am going to check it again tomorrow and see if the gravity number is the same.  If so, I am going to drop my dry hops in and let them go for about 4 to 5 days.  Pull the hop bag and then plan on bottling next weekend.  The color is not bad, little lighter than I expected.  The gravity numbers were a little on the light side.  Per Brewfather, my OG should have been about 1.055 and my final gravity should have been in the 1.011.  Checking my ABV it seems it is about 4.5%   Far cry from the 6% Brewfather said I was supposed to have.  But I am more about the taste than the ABV, so we will see how that goes.  RR

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2022, 05:56:48 am »
I went to check it and low and behold we still have some bubbling a week later.  It is not huge, but a small burb every 10 seconds or so.  I am going to leave it be until tomorrow and add my dry hops in a bag.  This is pretty cool as this is the longest I have seen bubbling in a beer I have done.  Updates to follow. 

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2022, 07:57:15 am »
Well, that's not necessarily a bad thing that it's apparently still chugging.  Your earlier gravity check was showing an apparent attenuation of only 68%, which seems too low for BRY-97 to be a final gravity, even with that much crystal malt.  I'm glad you gave it more time. 

I hope it's a great beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2022, 08:14:49 am »
I went to check it and low and behold we still have some bubbling a week later.  It is not huge, but a small burb every 10 seconds or so.  I am going to leave it be until tomorrow and add my dry hops in a bag.  This is pretty cool as this is the longest I have seen bubbling in a beer I have done.  Updates to follow.

Take a gravity reading

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2022, 08:13:14 pm »
Ok. So this is weird.  I just checked my gravity and it went up?   From 1.016 to 1.019.  That doesn't make sense.  Isn't it supposed to go down?   I put my dry hops in.  I will check it again on Saturday.  In a positive note, my brothers is the same as it was a few days ago.  So we will bottle his Saturday.  I'm gonna have mine some more time.  I'm thinking maybe I miss measured?  My ABV is only at like 4.5 or so.  Seems low. But we will see 

I just keep wondering if I'm really meant to do this. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 06:23:59 am by redrocker652002 »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2022, 12:11:55 pm »
Today is bottling day.  The dry hops have been in for about 4 days now, so I think that should be enough time to get what is needed out of them.  I put them in a hop bag this time to cut down on the crap that ends up at the bottom of the fermenter.  I figure a week or two in the closet at about 70 degrees, then put a few in the fridge for a week and see what I got.  More to come. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2022, 12:17:18 pm »
Today is bottling day.  The dry hops have been in for about 4 days now, so I think that should be enough time to get what is needed out of them.  I put them in a hop bag this time to cut down on the crap that ends up at the bottom of the fermenter.  I figure a week or two in the closet at about 70 degrees, then put a few in the fridge for a week and see what I got.  More to come.

24 hours is enough.  After that they start reabsorbing the oils.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2022, 02:29:05 pm »

This time it is pellets, but thanks.  I will try and remember that.  Also, I checked the gravity, and it is down to 1.012 or 1.011.  I think I am going to keep it on the counter today, it is a warm day, probably about 70 or so inside.  This is the number I was looking for though.  So I am pretty happy so far.  But the taste test is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.  Updates to follow. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2022, 04:05:21 pm »

This time it is pellets, but thanks.  I will try and remember that.  Also, I checked the gravity, and it is down to 1.012 or 1.011.  I think I am going to keep it on the counter today, it is a warm day, probably about 70 or so inside.  This is the number I was looking for though.  So I am pretty happy so far.  But the taste test is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.  Updates to follow.

Same with pellets or whole

www.dennybrew.com