Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxygen cylinder shortage?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Oxygen cylinder shortage?
« on: June 02, 2022, 09:35:05 am »
Has this been discussed?  My local hardware store has always had red oxygen cylinders and they have been out now for months.  I just read an ARTICLE stating that there is a global O2 supply issue.  I know some of you will say YOU DON'T NEED O2 FOR BREWING! but I do use it on every batch. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Oxygen cylinder shortage?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 10:40:54 am »
Has this been discussed?  My local hardware store has always had red oxygen cylinders and they have been out now for months.  I just read an ARTICLE stating that there is a global O2 supply issue.  I know some of you will say YOU DON'T NEED O2 FOR BREWING! but I do use it on every batch.

This has been going on since the beginning the pandemic. Maybe you'll have to see how you do without it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 10:43:45 am »

This has been going on since the beginning the pandemic. Maybe you'll have to see how you do without it.
Funny you say that because when I get a new cylinder I write the date on it in Sharpie.  On my current cylinder it has a date of November 2019 on it.  I haven't bought one since.  I was thinking of going to the Home Depot or my Menards but my guess is that everyone is out of stock on them.  Finding out how the beer comes out without O2 might be my only choice. 

EDIT:  I just checked HD and it says the item (Bernz-O-Matic) is not available at any store within 100 miles from me.  OH NO!!!  :D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 10:45:28 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 10:54:01 am »
I am not sure about O2, but propane is very difficult to get out here.  I think mostly due to shipping the bottles 

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 10:57:09 am »
hmmm, I've had no difficulties procuring o2 bottles out here

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 12:08:22 pm »
I can still get the little red oxygen bottles, but the cost is nasty. I wound up buying a oxygen regulator and 20 cubic foot tank. The cost of oxygen is way cheaper, but the up front cost is not good. Each refill of of the 20 cubic foot cost $30 and last 3-4 years. I'm pretty generous with the oxygen, so those little tanks were costing me 30-40 bucks a year.

There's is no problem getting the tanks refilled.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 12:49:42 pm »
Heh, giddy up.  My local Menards showed 9 in stock on their website and I just went over there and snagged one.  $10.99!  COME TO PAPA!!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 12:56:09 pm »
The blue propane cylinders were also not available in my area when mine ran out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 01:01:33 pm »
I was planning on getting a new gas grill and another propane tank.  I hope I can find one.  They sell propane tanks EVERYWHERE here... the hardware store, liquor stores, gas stations, etc. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 06:34:23 am »
I went shopping for red O2 cylinder a few months ago and couldn't find any. Discouraging that the shortage is still happening.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 06:44:48 am »
I was planning on getting a new gas grill and another propane tank.  I hope I can find one.  They sell propane tanks EVERYWHERE here... the hardware store, liquor stores, gas stations, etc.

The 20 lb cylinders are available. I was talking about the smaller blue cylinders that are good for a plumber's  torch.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2022, 12:54:03 pm »
I bought several of the small red O2 cylinders a few years ago when a hardware store was going out of business and had them on sale. When I emptied one I found that I had no way to dispose of it. It is illegal to put it in the trash or recycling here - it needs to go to a Hazardous Household Waste disposal site. My city has one a few miles away, but when I took it there they said they wouldn't take it. They take propane cylinders that are the same size, shape and metal but they won't take the O2 ones. I called the County HHW center and they said they would take it, but they wouldn't take if from me because my city has their own program! The only suggestion they had was for me to find someone else who lives in the county but not in my city and give it to them to take to the county site. What a pain! I am sure that in most places you can just toss it in the trash.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2022, 02:37:34 pm »
I bought several of the small red O2 cylinders a few years ago when a hardware store was going out of business and had them on sale. When I emptied one I found that I had no way to dispose of it. It is illegal to put it in the trash or recycling here - it needs to go to a Hazardous Household Waste disposal site. My city has one a few miles away, but when I took it there they said they wouldn't take it. They take propane cylinders that are the same size, shape and metal but they won't take the O2 ones. I called the County HHW center and they said they would take it, but they wouldn't take if from me because my city has their own program! The only suggestion they had was for me to find someone else who lives in the county but not in my city and give it to them to take to the county site. What a pain! I am sure that in most places you can just toss it in the trash.
I actually had no idea there might be an issue with these things.  When I empty one I throw it into the recycling assuming it's an empty metal cylinder that once held something that is not dangerous and it can be recycled. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2022, 03:19:18 pm »
Thank goodness the only thing we use oxygen for is...breathing!

narvin

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2022, 12:57:52 pm »
Thank goodness the only thing we use oxygen for is...breathing!

If you're breathing pure O2 I'd suggest you stop.