Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fedex shipping for Homebrew Competition  (Read 2375 times)

Offline jmulcare

• 1st Kit
Fedex shipping for Homebrew Competition
« on: June 02, 2022, 12:59:00 pm »
Is anyone having difficulty getting their entries delivered for the competition by Fedex Ground?  I have a friend in NY that sent his in 10 days ago and they haven't been delivered yet.  As.of today, they've gotten as far as the station in Broomfield, CO, about 7 miles from the destination.  Fedex Ground has been no help.  He has one more day before the deadline.  Btw, I'm retired Fedex Express and this is really ticking me off🤬🤬🤬

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Fedex shipping for Homebrew Competition
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 03:52:55 pm »
I've had nothing but trouble with FedEx deliveries for the last couple of years. Almost always a delay of one sort or another and without any explanation. Actually, had a package from Yakima, WA that was routed to Memphis, TN before heading back west to Fallon, NV, about an hour East of Reno. Took 6 days. Normally, this same package would arrive within 24 hours of shipping.

In all fairness, I'll relate a positive experience: I received a package that left Redding, Ca. at 7:42PM on 6/6, was reported as arriving and departing facilities in Sacramento, Ca. and Sparks Nv. and being delivered to my door in Fallon, Nv. at 4:57 PM yesterday, 6/7.

Unfortunately, another package that left Memphis Tn. at 11:38 PM on 6/3 and arrived in Tracy, Ca. at 9:21 PM on 6/5, is now in Stockton, Ca., about 22 miles closer in nearly 3 days? WTF is wrong here? This is more what I'm used to with FedEx.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 06:15:37 pm by Bob357 »
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 04:08:06 pm »
I've had nothing but trouble with FedEx deliveries for the last couple of years. Almost always a delay of one sort or another and without any explanation. Actually, had a package from Yakima, WA that was routed to Memphis, TN before heading back west to Fallon, NV, about an hour East of Reno. Took 6 days. Normally, this same package would arrive within 24 hours of shipping.

AFAIK, they route everything through Memphis.  FWIW, the last 3 FedEx I've gotten have all come a day before they estimated.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 05:16:47 pm »
Over the last 12 months, FedEx has really gone downhill in their service reliability. While my beer entries made it just fine (pays to ship Over-Night-Express), a number of other packages have been delayed for more than a day or two.

Offline jmulcare

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 06:18:33 pm »
Over the last 12 months, FedEx has really gone downhill in their service reliability. While my beer entries made it just fine (pays to ship Over-Night-Express), a number of other packages have been delayed for more than a day or two.

I've been out of the job about 6 years and the people I worked with tell me the same thing...it really disapoints me

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 04:21:33 am »

AFAIK, they route everything through Memphis.  FWIW, the last 3 FedEx I've gotten have all come a day before they estimated.

Not every package shipped through FedEx Express goes through Memphis (Super Hub), but the majority of them do. In addition to the Super Hub, FedEx Express has 11 other airport-based hubs that process overnight packages.

The FedEx Express hubs located in the United States include Miami, Dallas, Indianapolis and Oakland, California. Hubs are also located in other parts of the world, including Japan and Canada.

About 4 million express packages are processed each night through its entire global distribution system.

My worst experience was when shipping a check via 2nd Day Air. It was destined for Ohio, but spent at least 2 full days in Pennsylvania. FedEx tracking has been unreliable lately also.

Glad my beer entries made it!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 04:50:24 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 08:58:34 am »
Last Wednesday I placed two orders, one from Michigan was shipped the same day and arrived Friday, the other was shipped from Pennsylvania on Thursday and arrived Saturday. To Indiana.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline jmulcare

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 04:37:45 pm »
Well, the latest update on my friend's NHC entry is that it being held for PICK UP at the station in Broomfield.  He was finally able to talk to someone that was actually in the station and they said that because it has beer in it, they can't deliver it, which is a lie.  Fedex and UPS deliver packages with alcohol every day.  She couldn't tell him if there was a leak only that they could not deliver, it has to be picked up.  Someone at the BA told him that they've picked up entry packages before, so it sounds like they are aware that this is an issue.  This could eventually the end of the competition if brewers aren't able to send in their entries, in my opinion.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 05:27:38 pm »
Well, the latest update on my friend's NHC entry is that it being held for PICK UP at the station in Broomfield.  He was finally able to talk to someone that was actually in the station and they said that because it has beer in it, they can't deliver it, which is a lie.  Fedex and UPS deliver packages with alcohol every day.  She couldn't tell him if there was a leak only that they could not deliver, it has to be picked up.  Someone at the BA told him that they've picked up entry packages before, so it sounds like they are aware that this is an issue.  This could eventually the end of the competition if brewers aren't able to send in their entries, in my opinion.

Unless your friend (or you) have a shipper's account with FedEx, and have an alcohol distribution license, they cannot legally accept the shipment, or deliver the shipment.

Yes, we all pay no attention and ship anyway. It's a roll of the dice.

So your friend's entry is SOL.

Who can ship alcohol and to whom?

Overview

Only FedEx-approved, licensed alcohol shippers that have entered into a FedEx Alcohol Shipping Agreement may ship alcohol via FedEx services. Consumers may not ship alcohol of any type via FedEx services.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 05:40:04 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 11:13:02 am »
This is not a legality, rather a self imposed rule by both UPS and Fedex, likely for liability sake.

It is only technically illegal to ship alcohol though USPS, and that may change soon.

That said, home brewers always ship at their own risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

narvin

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 11:33:11 am »
I'm sure it varies based on your locality, but I have had nothing but bad experiences with FedEx in Maryland for 15 years.  Haven't shipped beer through them since they broke my bottles and sent the rest back, but the deliveries I get they sometimes throw down my driveway or leave up the street by the road, or consistently deliver other people's packages to me and then expect me to go drop them off.  Or drive all over my lawn. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 11:46:20 am »
For the longest time I used a local gift shop service that was participating in a "Wine of the Month" program, so it was a registered alcohol shipper.  Unfortunately, the business did not find it lucrative enough and dropped that part of business.  Now I only enter local competitions, though I notice that both FED EX and UPS are used frequently for out of state participants.  I am told that the way to go is to have self-printed shipping labels, etc... and just drop off the box - usually no questions asked.  Good packaging helps the intact delivery immensely, though it often creates a greater pain at the competition sorting room.

I hope USPS comes around on this issue, eventually. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 02:31:28 pm »
I use these trays for shipping bottles:
https://www.amazon.com/Crafty-Shipping-12oz-Bottle-Trays/dp/B0796GH6GK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=beer+shipping+box&qid=1654633694&sr=8-4

I can fit 2 or 4 nicely in a cardboard box with a little bubble wrap to take up the extra space. Never had a problem shipping my "pickles" via UPS with a self-printed and prepaid label. I just drop them on the counter at the UPS store.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 03:54:57 pm »
The way it reads, you must be a licensed beer distributor or retailer to legally ship beer.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/prohibited-items/beer.page

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2022, 05:08:41 am »
My understanding of the shipping limitations is that the rules are to protect the states tax provisions on import and export of alcohol.  If something is inconvenient it is usually related to a tax issue.  Add in state laws on where homebrew can be transported which vary from state to state and I can understand shippers not wanting to step into that pool.

IMHO

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?