Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Five gallon buckets  (Read 849 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Five gallon buckets
« on: June 09, 2022, 09:20:26 am »
I finally gave up trying to find a homebrew shop that still carries five gallon buckets and went to Lowes.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Five gallon buckets
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 03:56:58 pm »
My LHBS has plenty of buckets but I get mine from Home Depot. I like the Homer orange better than the Lowe's blue  ;D
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 08:06:49 pm »
I finally gave up trying to find a homebrew shop that still carries five gallon buckets and went to Lowes.

you might consider checking wine shops for some stuff. i find wineshops can be very old fashioned or have either very cheap or very overpriced stuff. planning to see if i can get a carboy brush at one for cheaper than my online HBS.

not an expert, but again i'd just try to consider if the type of bucket at lowe's is food-safe, low pH safe(?) etc. maybe it is, im not sure.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 09:37:05 am »

you might consider checking wine shops for some stuff. i find wineshops can be very old fashioned or have either very cheap or very overpriced stuff. planning to see if i can get a carboy brush at one for cheaper than my online HBS.

not an expert, but again i'd just try to consider if the type of bucket at lowe's is food-safe, low pH safe(?) etc. maybe it is, im not sure.
The white ones are definitely food grade.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 09:38:06 am »
My LHBS has plenty of buckets but I get mine from Home Depot. I like the Homer orange better than the Lowe's blue  ;D
Those might not be food grade. The white ones are.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 09:44:25 am »
My work has a foodservice operation and they get a few things like tahini, peanut butter, and honey in 5 gallon food grade buckets and they pile up so I get them for free. I have a couple dozen as they come in handy gardening etc. too.
I say this because if anyone is friendly with someone who runs or works in a restaurant, hotel, or school you can ask them if they can score you some.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 01:39:06 pm »
Those might not be food grade. The white ones are.

I only use them for cleaning, mixing up Starsan or moving wort from the boil kettle to the fermenter. Nothing stays in them.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato