Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Draft Beer Prices  (Read 1460 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Draft Beer Prices
« on: June 04, 2022, 08:03:14 am »
I have to admit we've not been much of anywhere for two years, but this past week we went to a brewpub and I was a little shocked to see the pint was $8.50 with tax. Is this a new normal? I know I can get the same draft at a restaurant not far away for $6 all day everyday and for $2 when on special. I expect to pay more for beers at some restaurants and especially at bars and events, but is $8.50 per pint a new norm for a brewpub or brewery tap room?
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Draft Beer Prices
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 09:10:41 am »
In my little town the range is $5 at a pizza place Happy hour, to $8 at another place all the time.

During our stay at Santa Fe NM one newish place was $7. Many places were $6. We didn’t  stop at the touristy places overlooking the plaza, but looked online and thoses are $5.50. Our go to was the SF Brewing Brakeroom, $5 at Happy hour, $4 on Tuesdays.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 09:23:45 am »
I have to admit we've not been much of anywhere for two years, but this past week we went to a brewpub and I was a little shocked to see the pint was $8.50 with tax. Is this a new normal? I know I can get the same draft at a restaurant not far away for $6 all day everyday and for $2 when on special. I expect to pay more for beers at some restaurants and especially at bars and events, but is $8.50 per pint a new norm for a brewpub or brewery tap room?

yes, most recent time i went to my city (in canada)'s main craft beer bar place the nothing-special pints (IPAs, craft lagers, etc) ranged from about $7.50 to $9 plus tax. these are not full pints but 14oz type things.

i'm completely off drinking outside the house.

i know different places in america have very different prices, but here in ontario the prices are pretty standardized and there isn't a thing on having sales hours or sales products for cheap.

if the government didn't have insane taxes and fees on all levels of producing, selling and serving alcohol, we would probably be cheaper than the states. hate this crap.

narvin

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 12:46:11 pm »
See, this is why I like the self serve tap.  I can top it off until I hit $5.00, like getting gas in high school :D. And no tip.

But yes, I think prices are up and they aren't going down.  Between the pandemic and having two kids in the past 2 years, I have found that experiences that I used to like to pay for are not worth the price anymore.  I'll go to the destination breweries that have tons of beautiful outdoor space on farmland, or the places that legitimately have great beer, as well as the restaurants I like.  But I buy a lot more things to prepare at home because there's also a lot of crap out there that's not worth paying money for just to be doing it with a crowd of other people.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 01:49:59 pm »
So in my neck of the woods I have noticed an increase in prices. I was in Pittsburg yesterday at Cinderlands Brewing and a 7% WCIPA was $7.25 so if memory serves me correct it had a very slight increase. I was also in Cleveland a few weeks ago at Saucy Brew Works, had a few under 5% abv lagers and the price was $6. Similar markets and pretty similar prices for what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 09:11:59 am »
Hmmmmm. Three pints at a pub or the ingredients to brew three gallons at home? What to do, what to do?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 03:22:50 pm »
Hmmmmm. Three pints at a pub or the ingredients to brew three gallons at home? What to do, what to do?

this is exactly the math i do whenever i buy beer nowadays. tbh, im thinking of making a KISS but powerful explanation of why beer and alcohol prices are BS and people need to stop supporting the monopoly here that enforces them and rakes in money. i plan to post this on a bunch of subreddits and hopefully get more people into homebrewing. its basically extortion the way there are (high) minimum prices set in this province and they keep going up and up.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 08:04:28 am »

this is exactly the math i do whenever i buy beer nowadays. tbh, im thinking of making a KISS but powerful explanation of why beer and alcohol prices are BS and people need to stop supporting the monopoly here that enforces them and rakes in money. i plan to post this on a bunch of subreddits and hopefully get more people into homebrewing. its basically extortion the way there are (high) minimum prices set in this province and they keep going up and up.
I can't see having three pints at a pub for an evening instead of brewing three gallons and having a bottle with supper all month.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 08:38:50 am »

I can't see having three pints at a pub for an evening instead of brewing three gallons and having a bottle with supper all month.

Life choices, right?  Whatever makes you happy.  I can't see spending 1k on a Grainfather when I can mash and boil in a $75 kettle, but that's just me.  And yet I'm happy to spend $8 a pop for a decent beer at a restaurant.  :)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2022, 10:11:14 am »
Everything is more expensive these days and beer is no exception. At breweries a lot of this seems driven by the elevation of tap rooms from a small room with some stools to a destination bar that needs staff and equipment to upkeep a fairly large bar. I understand that profits at a taproom are generally better than distribution but costs increase with sales, too. Once one brewery in the area starts charging more so will everybody else.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 10:58:11 am »

Life choices, right?  Whatever makes you happy.  I can't see spending 1k on a Grainfather when I can mash and boil in a $75 kettle, but that's just me.  And yet I'm happy to spend $8 a pop for a decent beer at a restaurant.  :)

$75 kettle? luxury.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 11:04:27 am »
Of course it depends where you are, and what you are having.  Here in Wisconsin, we can still find draft beers for "as little as" $4-$5 at a lot of places, maybe $6 for the more expensive places.  Meanwhile, just a few miles south in Chicago, I know the normal price is closer to $7-$9.  When I fly out to California next week, I expect to pay that much or maybe even >$10 per pint.  Cost of living crapola.  This is why I never ever ever want to move away from the state of Wisconsin.  Not only is it my one and only place I've called home since birth, but I know the cost of living is relatively very reasonable.  My company wants everyone to move to Florida in the next couple years.  Of the dozens of people I work with, I can think of zero who have actually agreed to move.  The rest are leaving the company or finding other permanent plant positions here (like me, I have to change from Engineering to Chemistry department later this year -- I've been in Engineering for 24 years -- guess it's time for a change!).
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2022, 11:34:30 am »
Just kinda depends.  "Regular" craft beers are in the $5-6 range.  Special ones, like Alesong, can run 8-12.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 12:10:39 pm »
Meanwhile, just a few miles south in Chicago, I know the normal price is closer to $7-$9.  When I fly out to California next week, I expect to pay that much or maybe even >$10 per pint.  Cost of living crapola.

Depending on what you order, $6 to $8 is the going rate for a craft beer at a brewery or restaurant nowadays in SoCal (or at least my part of Los Angeles / San Bernardino counties). Probably around $5 to $6 for the mass market stuff. Probably more if you're downtown in LA and paying tourist rates.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 02:55:02 pm »
didn't want to keep bumping this, but ron pattinson just posted about draft prices today. he seemed to be complaining about 5-6 pounds per pint and said a different local had "cask beer"(?) at 2.10 a pint.

that's a great price there. anywhere from $4-5 is what i'd consider a good, but admittedly somewhat unrealistic price.

in korea a 500ml of basic beer would be as low as $3