Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bitters  (Read 3227 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Bitters
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 10:57:00 am »
You're a lucky man...

Whistle pig 15 with lemon bitters, flamed lemon peel, and 1 cube of rough cut demerara

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Its surprising and wonderful that flaming citrus oil actually makes a different. I always thought it was for show until I tried it.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2022, 09:37:42 am »
Resurrecting a zombie thread here. I don't make a lot of cocktails, so bitters are rarely on my radar. My wife ordered an Aperol Spritz at dinner a little while ago, but I ended up stealing most of it. Something about the interplay between bitter, sweet, and acidity really got my wheels spinning. Rather than go the Aperol/Campari-style liqueur route, I decided to try making a couple of batches of bitters. I'm getting ready to strain, filter, and bottle them in the next few days, and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Lime Bitters:

Zest of 5(ish) small limes
Zest of 1/2 of a lemon
Zest of 1/2 of an orange
1 tsp Gentian root
1 tsp Angelica root
1 tsp Juniper berries
1/2 tsp White peppercorns
1/2 tsp Lavender flowers
8 oz Bacardi 151
Steep for 2 weeks, add 2 oz turbinado syrup, steep 1 more week

Aromatic Bitters:

Peel from 3 dried orange slices
1 tsp Gentian root
1 tsp Angelica root
1/2 tsp Lavender flowers
1/2 tsp Quassia wood
1/4 in chunk of cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp Coriander
1/2 tsp Tarragon
Small chunk of dark chocolate
8oz Everclear
Steep for 2 weeks, add 2 oz Turbinado syrup, steep 1 more week

Like I said, I don't generally make cocktails at home, but I'm looking forward to trying these out. I think the Lime bitters will be really nice with Gin/Vodka/Tequila drinks, or even splashed into lemonade or citrusy soft drinks. Outside of an Old Fashioned, I'm not sure what I'll be using the Aromatic bitters in, but it should be fun to play around with.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 02:09:51 pm »
Very cool.  And it's funny that you're resurrecting this, because I was just searching this forum on "bitters" about a week ago. 

When I sip liquor, I like to experiment with various bitters.  No other additions/mixers, or maybe just a bit of tonic water.  Mostly in tequila, bourbon, or rum.

That sounds like fun making your own.  I especially like the sound of the lavender component.

Bergamot might be nice.  I love the smell/taste of rosemary, and I put some in a rauchbier last year that came out with a really nice savory element.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2022, 06:24:25 am »
 Looks good. I haven’t made any bitters in a while, this might inspire me to pull out the bin of bitter roots.
Not only do I love bitters in cocktails, I often put them in seltzer water for an interesting and refreshing drink on nights I don’t want alcohol.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.