Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: recipes using weizen yeast besides the well known weissbier/kristallweizen/dampf  (Read 535 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
lol seems silly saying "weizen yeast", but you know what i mean, the yeasts that are used in producing commercial types of the above mentioned 3 beers

just had an aventinus (sadly only available in cans now, who knows how many of my wonderful 500ml bottles were once aventinus, if not schneider with labels), and it was nice but underwhelming compared to memories. good spiciness, good wine character elements, maltiness. poor body/texture, overall somewhat muted/limited dimensions even at a pretty warm temp. paulaner has gotten weird now imho with their production ramped up.

what, i wonder is use of this yeast in perhaps even just taking the role of some belgian styles? ie. use of dextrose (glucose) to create certain flavour elements https://famouslastworts.com/2016/07/17/add-glucose-gives-more-bananas/ . would appreciate a bit higher IBUs, and normal beer clarity.

i had one beer calculated a while ago that was essentially a dark, 8% "dubbel" style recipe using D-90 candi-sugar but hopped to 30IBU using i think WLP380 for some reasoned purpose (have limited experience with weizen yeasts btw)

any thoughts?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
I suppose you could use weizen yeast for Belgian styles. I think weizen yeast lean too banana forward for most people even at cooler temperatures that will generate a fair amount of feedback that the beer seems hefeweizen-like. They aren't as complex as many Belgian yeasts either which might lend to more of the same feedback. Could be interesting mixed in small quantities with less banana-forward Belgian strains but you would have to account for the overlap in temperature ranges. At warmer temps weizen yeast tend to throw bubblegum rather than banana.

I dunno, seems a lot like a solution looking for a problem. Weizen yeast are very good at what they do but that isn't the most versatile skill.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Lichtenhainer maybe?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.