Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: oktoberfest ale recipe  (Read 9140 times)

Offline pujie84

• 1st Kit
oktoberfest ale recipe
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:49:02 am »
does anyone have an Oktoberfest style beer that would use ale yeast? I live in Houston Texas and its costly to brew lagers, but I want a close taste to the Oktoberfest beer. thanks

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: oktoberfest ale recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:54:42 am »
Search out Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale on www.homebrewtalk.com .  I've had mine on keg for about 6 weeks so it should be available soon.

It's also listed on the Recipe database on www.brewmasterswarehouse.com
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:57:38 am »
Just brew a regular Oktoberfest/Marzen and use a clean yet low attenuating ale yeast.  Or try the California Common lager yeast, or even Saf-lager dry yeast.  They can ferment acceptably at ale temps.  You just want something that will be clean and accentuate the malt flavors.

Still try and go as low as you can though.  At least the mid 60's.  Use a swamp cooler type setup.  Or submerge the carboy in a tub of water and add ice blocks regularly.

I think you can get close enough if you keep it clean and malty.
Dave Brush

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:50:09 am »
+1 to what enso said; I often will use the Cal Common yeast when lager temps are warmer.  The other tips are spot on as well.

At first I thought it was a trick question.  How do you make Oktoberfest as an ale in Texas?  Make it as a lager, but be sure it's over 5%.  We don't need that hippie science; we got our law.  Now respect my authoratie.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:04:50 am »
I've come to prefer WY1007 over a CA common yeast for pseudo lagers.  But you still have to ferment it on the cool side and cold condition the beer when it's done, regardless of which you use.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 10:11:52 am »
I've come to prefer WY1007 over a CA common yeast for pseudo lagers.  But you still have to ferment it on the cool side and cold condition the beer when it's done, regardless of which you use.

Yep, I prefer the 1007 for that also
Joe

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 11:38:13 am »
At first I thought it was a trick question.  How do you make Oktoberfest as an ale in Texas?  Make it as a lager, but be sure it's over 5%.  We don't need that hippie science; we got our law.  Now respect my authoratie.

Now that is hilarious - post of the day!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281