Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gelatin Off Aromas & Flavors  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Gelatin Off Aromas & Flavors
« on: June 05, 2022, 03:06:48 pm »
I use gelatin religiously. Knox unflavored, and Walmart unflavored.

When the package of gelatin is opened, there is a subtle, yet very distinct odor. Similar to a livestock barn. My grandparents had a farm, so I can recognize this in an instant!

The odor is present in the liquid after the gelatin is dissolved. And it is not a pleasant aroma.

I think that the off flavor shows itself in the beer. It is not an "in your face" off flavor, but it is there. The taste I get is a hint of Dawn Dish Soap. And it is in nearly every beer brewed here. No, soap never touches any of the brewing equipment!

Yes, I need to do an A-B comparison with two batches. One with gelatin, one without.

Have any of you who use gelatin experienced this?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 03:09:19 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Gelatin Off Aromas & Flavors
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 03:16:14 pm »
My beers are crystal clear without gelatin. I use Whirlfloc in the boil. That’s it. To me gelatin is a tool used on the occasional beer that doesn’t clear on it own.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 03:21:26 pm »
I've never used gelatin, but considering where it comes from I'm not surprised by the odor from the packet. I'm more skeptical about the aroma in the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 03:21:57 pm »
My beers are crystal clear without gelatin. I use Whirlfloc in the boil. That’s it. To me gelatin is a tool used on the occasional beer that doesn’t clear on it own.

Yes, we use Whirlfloc each brew. With gelatin, the beers are brilliant clear in about two days. And gelatin is an animal product, which I think explains the horse-barn aroma.

Might switch to Biofine.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 03:23:31 pm »
I've never used gelatin, but considering where it comes from I'm not surprised by the odor from the packet. I'm more skeptical about the aroma in the beer.

Not an aroma in the finished beer, but the slight hint of dish soap in the flavor.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 03:39:56 pm »
Doing a search, I am not the only one who experiences this issue:

Well, the recipe worked out well. However, the knox gelatin smells like barnyard. It's extremely noticeable. It isn't that the gelatin is old either - we purchased about a month ago. I had hoped adding the gelatin to the meringue would make the smell thin out, but now it just smells like egg white + orange + barnyard.

From a cooking forum.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 03:45:17 pm »

Not an aroma in the finished beer, but the slight hint of dish soap in the flavor.

Sometimes indicates a yeast issue.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 03:49:48 pm »
Knox gelatin does smell sometimes.  I've never noticed the flavor in a beer though.  It's possible but gelatin is taking things out of suspension in the beer and then being removed.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 03:50:59 pm »

Ok…another rabbit hole to explore. Might be time to start with new yeast, after 30+ generations of trusty Diamond.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 03:58:52 pm »
I've used Knox and Great Value, at least 100 times between the two, and never perceived any off flavor or aroma in my beers.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 04:00:24 pm »
If you use it on every batch I don’t know why it just appeared. Likely not the gelatin.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 04:41:45 pm »
If you use it on every batch I don’t know why it just appeared. Likely not the gelatin.

It did not just appear, having been noticed for a long time. But I always thought it might be an over active imagination. Now I think it is very likely from the gelatin.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 05:31:52 pm »
Yeast nutrients smell like ammonia, Whirlflock and Brewtan B both have terrible seaweed and earthy aromas. Gelatin has a horse hoof aroma.

I dunno, I never really noticed any of them coming over in the beer when dosed appropriately. That said, I use Biofineand it has no aroma.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2022, 05:39:25 pm »
Yeast nutrients smell like ammonia, Whirlflock and Brewtan B both have terrible seaweed and earthy aromas. Gelatin has a horse hoof aroma.

I dunno, I never really noticed any of them coming over in the beer when dosed appropriately. That said, I use Biofineand it has no aroma.

That's my plan next time...no more horse parts in my beer!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2022, 04:29:45 am »

This will be explored in depth. Two identical beers, with different yeast. Wyeast 2124 (new smack packs) / Diamond (harvested slurry). If it is the yeast, we need to find out. Each Diamond harvest is hyper clean, has a wonderful aroma, and has been a great performer.

More tasting later today.

I was surprised to learn of the soap off flavor in beer, as it is more common than what was thought. The common theme is hair shampoo. There is a wide range of causes for this.

This particular off flavor is very, very subtle. Many would not notice, and that is partly why the imagination factor is being looked at.