Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Art  (Read 779 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Beer Art
« on: June 13, 2022, 03:10:36 pm »
We give away a significant amount of beer to friends and neighbors. One of the neighbors painted a picture for us, of one of our beers in a Pilsner glass.

I think she did a very nice job! This will be framed and will have a place of distinction on the wall in the upstairs bar - lounge area.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Beer Art
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 04:10:27 pm »
I have to assume it's not easy to catch that lighting just so.  I have seen graphic images of beer (not photography) where I'm amazed at how they captured it.  Very nice indeed.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 05:03:43 pm »
I have to assume it's not easy to catch that lighting just so.  I have seen graphic images of beer (not photography) where I'm amazed at how they captured it.  Very nice indeed.

Thanks for the nice comments. Dianne did a nice job! The original photo was taken of the glass sitting on the bar. The lighting in the beer itself is actually the lights in the upper cabinets in the back bar, shining into the glass.

She did a spectacular job capturing the glass itself, especially the base. And the foam head on top of the beer is near perfection. The scanned image is not nearly as nice as the actual painting, being a bit too dark.

Will be going to the frame shop tomorrow.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 05:15:37 pm »
Pictures like these where they capture the condensation on the glass and the reflective light... I wish I could do that:

Or even my profile pic.  Great stuff.

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 05:43:55 pm »
Dianne (our neighbor) is an accomplished artist. She works in watercolors, and has done many still life paintings that are outstanding.

This is a first for her, painting a glass of beer. Just went back and pulled up the original picture, taken in the bar. She captured all of the little details in the beer...the small lights, the cabinets, that actually are visible through the beer glass.

I took probably 8 or 10 pictures of beer, in different glasses. The goal was to have a crystal clear glass, minus any condensation. I had to work at it!

The old beer posters from the 30's and 40's are pretty cool. Especially the European posters.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 07:03:33 pm »
Looks great. Looks like she also painted the texture on the bar.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 07:09:22 pm »
Looks great. Looks like she also painted the texture on the bar.

That's actually gold leaf, which does not show in the scan of the painting. The beer glass was sitting on a Pilsner Urquell bar towel.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 04:16:08 pm »
This is the actual photo…

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 08:33:32 pm »
i do want to make a pseudo german-pils label for some lager batch sometime when i saw this album cover a long time ago. lol you know what i mean, right ie. silly logo/crest, cursive font suggesting quality, little 3 word motto, "seit 1523" etc