Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite Commercial Meads  (Read 6357 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
Re: Favorite Commercial Meads
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 06:46:22 am »
I have yet to taste a good commercial mead.  Or a good homebrewed one for that matter!  Well, no I take that back.  A friend of mine makes a really tasty (in my limited experience) blueberry melomel.

I have tried a few different meads from a place up here in Vermont called Honey Gardens.  I have found them to be much like my failed attempts at meads.  They are far from what I would call "nectar of the gods"  There always seems to be a bitterness and wintergreen (wax lips I call it) flavor to their meads and my own.  I had some from a meadery in Maine also.  More drinkable, but again, nothing to swoon over.

Maybe I just don't like mead.
Dave Brush

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 07:55:59 am »
You should go meet Michael Fairbrother in New Hampshire. He knows a thing or two about mead, and can probably help you determine quickly whether you don't like mead or just don't like crappy mead.  Shouldn't be that far for you, and you can look him up online.  Tell him Curt sent you.  ;)

Usually when I see people talking about ambrosia, nectar of the gods, or any kind of renaissance faire drivel, I run the other way.  Usually that means they are more concerned about getting hammered than anything else.  If you make good mead, it speaks for itself.

I have the same issue with wine.  The stupider the name, the less likely I want to drink it.

Mead shouldn't taste like bitterness and wax lips.  Don't give up on it.  Keep looking.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 08:10:19 am »
You should go meet Michael Fairbrother in New Hampshire. He knows a thing or two about mead, and can probably help you determine quickly whether you don't like mead or just don't like crappy mead. 

+100 on this...and he is always doing tastings somewhere...great stuff.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 08:19:17 am »
You should go meet Michael Fairbrother in New Hampshire. He knows a thing or two about mead, and can probably help you determine quickly whether you don't like mead or just don't like crappy mead. 

+100 on this...and he is always doing tastings somewhere...great stuff.

Michael would be a good guy to get to know.  Contact information:
 https://www.moonlightmeadery.com/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline susanr

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 09:38:49 am »
I have yet to taste a good commercial mead.  Or a good homebrewed one for that matter!  Well, no I take that back.  A friend of mine makes a really tasty (in my limited experience) blueberry melomel.

I have tried a few different meads from a place up here in Vermont called Honey Gardens.  I have found them to be much like my failed attempts at meads.  They are far from what I would call "nectar of the gods"  There always seems to be a bitterness and wintergreen (wax lips I call it) flavor to their meads and my own.  I had some from a meadery in Maine also.  More drinkable, but again, nothing to swoon over.

Maybe I just don't like mead.

If you like wine and you like honey you should enjoy a Mead if it is made properly as a well made Mead should be smooth, easily drinkable, not too much alcohol, no wax flavors and definitely not bitter or tannic - it should be a balance of smooth alcohol, pleasant honey aromas and flavors, just the right amount of acid to balance the sweetness of the honey and if any fruit/spice is added then that should also harmonize with the honey, alcohol and acid of the base Mead.

Don't give up on finding a great Mead as they are out there.
Cheers,
Susan

Homebrewing is not my hobby - it is my lifestyle.

BJCP Assistant Exam Director
BJCP Grand Master Judge
former AHA Governing Committee
Prairie Homebrewing Companions
Beer and Meadmaker - 15 years

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 10:05:23 pm »
If you do make it to the Moonlight Meadery, be sure to ask Michael for a sample of his Coffee In Bed. Curt, Susan & I judged the homebrewed version back in June during the AHA NHC (2nd Round). It was fan-freakin'-tastic!  8)   
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline gr8nhbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 01:18:02 pm »
Thanks guys, gals!

Moonlight Meadery is currently distributing from Concord down to the sea coast of NH, and looking for more accounts.  I have just signed a lease agreement that will hopefully allow me to start the spread of our meads across the country.

Michael Fairbrother
AHA Life time member
Brew Free or Die President
Founder/Meadmaker Moonlight Meadery LLC
603-234-9582