Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Magic Hat HiPA  (Read 2200 times)

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
Magic Hat HiPA
« on: September 21, 2010, 03:06:54 pm »
I just love Magic Hat's HiPA and Blind Faith.  How can they make beer like that and also make beers like the latest odd notion (tastes like green apple candy  >:(

Their other mediocre beers Wacko, #9, and Circus Boy are big sellers ($$$) but couldn't they use the odd notion series as a way to showcase their creativity instead of making mediocre beers (ok I'm being nice...the fall odd notion is awful)?

Anyway, my beer rant for the day...I feel a little better now.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Magic Hat HiPA
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 04:09:45 pm »
New Glarus seems to be like that as well.  I don't care for the Spotted Cow or Fat Squirrel but those are their two biggest sellers.  New Glarus makes some really good specialty beers.  It is their big selling beers that allow them to do the "funky" stuff.  It's just the way things are.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 06:44:59 am »
I must be missing out on the good stuff, cause I have yet to have a MH beer that wowed me. Yer right . . the Wacko is a waste of water and glass. The #9, which I'm guessing is one of their more recognized brews, is quite forgettable. Hmm. . can't even remember the names of the others I've tried. That's how much of an impression they've made . . .  :-\

Just brew it...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 12:08:23 pm »
I've tried some Magic Hat brews- the "expert" beer guy at Central Market gushed about them. I think their beer tastes infected, though the Oktoberfest isn't too bad. Overall thumbs down, I just don't get the philosophy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 03:47:28 pm »
I've never had a magic hat beer that tasted infected.  I believe they use ringwood yeast for most of their beers...

It is their big selling beers that allow them to do the "funky" stuff.  It's just the way things are.
That's just it though...their odd notion series has had beers that are just as bland and ordinary as their regular brews.  What's even more annoying is  about a year ago they released a small batch of an IIPA in kegs to a few local bars and it was one of the best IIPAs I've ever had.  Unfortunately it was never released in bottles or in kegs again.  It just annoys me because over they years they have produced some great beers only to put them on the scrap heap and release another crappy beer to feed the masses.  I guess that's what happens when you make beer only to make money... 

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 04:11:56 pm »
I've never had a Magic Hat beer that I liked.  I really don't know how they stay in business.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 07:00:58 am »
It's not just me!

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 01:35:33 pm »
I've tried some Magic Hat brews- the "expert" beer guy at Central Market gushed about them. I think their beer tastes infected, though the Oktoberfest isn't too bad. Overall thumbs down, I just don't get the philosophy.

I've been mulling over whether or not to try MH HiPA, I've tried a couple other brews they made and wasn't overly impressed.  I agree with Euge in that I think a Lot of microbrews taste infected to me... not just those from MH either.

I haven't brewed again in a while since I got sick but I will say that for the last year either my tastebuds have changed or all the beers I've made in that time were infected also.  I seriously have a hard time finding what I would call a good beer anymore.  Bitter don't get it, I can chew on bark off a tree or herb if all I want is bitter... or chew a vicadin and chase it with water if I want bitter wet with a kick... bleh... LOL!