Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgium and the Netherlands  (Read 1195 times)

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
Belgium and the Netherlands
« on: June 15, 2022, 08:01:57 pm »
Heading out on a bicycling trip from Bruges to Amsterdam in a couple weeks.  I re-read the thread from 2019 about this area and am hoping there might be some good suggestions for bars/breweries throughout Belgium and the Netherlands.  I've been to Westvleteren and St. Bernandus before and that part of the country is not on the itinerary.  Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp are the bigger cities on our journey, the rest will be smaller villages until reaching Amsterdam. 
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Belgium and the Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 08:11:37 pm »
In Europe in general, I found no plan is the best plan. Whenever I had a plan I was stressed to hit those spots but when I didn’t have a plan I found some of the best places just by local word of mouth, taxi drivers, hotel personnel, etc.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 08:13:19 pm »
In Europe in general, I found no plan is the best plan. Whenever I had a plan I was stressed to hit those spots but when I didn’t have a plan I found some of the best places just by local word of mouth, taxi drivers, hotel personnel, etc.
Agree 100%

Fermenting, Saison

narvin

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 04:02:54 pm »
When you're in Bruges, go to Le Trappiste http://www.letrappistebrugge.com/.  Excellent beer bar.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 04:06:30 pm »
When you're in Bruges, go to Le Trappiste http://www.letrappistebrugge.com/.  Excellent beer bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fermenting, Saison

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 06:06:18 pm »
If you're going to Bruges then hit De Garre, t'Brugs Beertje, Cambrinus, Cafe Rose Red, Vlissinghe, and any other place you see.

In Ghent you must visit t' Velootje. Het Waterhuis aan de Bierkant has cool Singer sewing machine table bases. Dulle Griet didn't thrill me much, but it was years ago.

In Antwerp you need to hit Kulminator, Paters Vaetje, Oud Aersenaal, and Highlander Cafe.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 10:01:29 pm »
If you're going to Bruges then hit De Garre, t'Brugs Beertje, Cambrinus, Cafe Rose Red, Vlissinghe, and any other place you see.

In Ghent you must visit t' Velootje. Het Waterhuis aan de Bierkant has cool Singer sewing machine table bases. Dulle Griet didn't thrill me much, but it was years ago.

In Antwerp you need to hit Kulminator, Paters Vaetje, Oud Aersenaal, and Highlander Cafe.

I haven’t  been to Belgium in 20 years, but this is solid.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!