Updating an older thread. I was looking through my stuff on Saturday while brewing and I saw that I had one whirfloc tablet left. As I searched further I found that I had 5 Kick tablets left. As I got close to adding one or the other I decided to use Kick and as insurance I used two of the tablets. The wort cleared nicely and looked beautiful going into the fermenter. What this tells me (and what I have been trying to determine for a long time) is that some other factor is at play in my brewing that might cause the wort not to clear properly. A water issue, a mash pH issue, a boil pH issue, a boil intensity issue, possibly a malt with high protein, etc. In my original post I was wrong to blame the Kick for the wort not clearing. These are areas where it's tough to troubleshoot things because I might conclude that all my WF batches clear and a Kick batch did not so it must be the Kick but then others might say "Kick works for me!" and then we're left shrugging and not knowing what it could be. I mentioned a "simplification" that I made with the help of BrewBama and one of those steps is to just get the strike water to a pH of 5.5 prior to the mash and then let everything fall into place. My guess is that these issues I had were due to a mash pH that was not in the preferred range. My last 6-8 months of batches have all had good/better clarity except for one that I remember posting about.