Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for some opinions on this: What goes good with beer?  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Looking for some opinions on this: What goes good with beer?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2022, 07:30:10 am »
Anything salty. And the saltier, the better.

Japanese rice crackers with peanuts. You have to go to Tokyo to get the good stuff.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 07:37:07 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2022, 07:39:05 am »
Sweet is out, period.  Doesn't work with beer.

Salt is the key for me to enjoy a snack with beer.  I think it's the perfect balance to the bitterness.
So pretzels or plain potato chips would be my go-to when I get the munchies.  Corn chips in a pinch.

If it was even remotely healthy, the greatest meal ever would be a hot dog, salted soft pretzel and beer.   :)
As always, you and I on the same page.  This is really what I was getting at... sweet with beer doesn't work for me.  The chocolate with porter or stout I understand but I rarely drink those.  Last night I had an English Bitter going.  I guess I just wonder why this snack mix company went so far out of their way to "hide" that these candied peanuts were in there.  On the front of the bag is a 1 or 1.5" "window" so you can see into the bag but it's sort of translucent... you can see what's in there but not really.  Had I seen these things through the window I would have put them down.  It sounds weird but I found these at Menard's, btw.  For the uninitiated, Menard's is a Midwest version of Home Depot that started in Wisconsin, I believe.  My local Menards is HUGE and not only has all the home improvement things you could ever want but there is a "food" section too with coffee, breakfast stuff, snacks, water, soda, candy, etc. and the snack area is giant... lots of chips, peanuts, snack mixes, Chex mix, etc. and that's where I found these.  Specifically called "CRAFT BEER SNACK MIX" and with the claim on the back WARNING:  THIS SNACK MIX IS MEANT TO GO WITH REALLY GREAT BEER or something like that.  Not.  :D

I should clarify that my post above is MY OPINION ONLY, and that I'm sure sweet and beer appeals to some if not many.  I just can't ever get it to work. 

I also don't like anything that masks the taste of the beer, so BBQ flavors, sour cream & onion, Doritos, dips, etc, while certainly tasty on their own, aren't what I'm looking for when snacking with beer.  I've made my own "snack mix" with broken up hard pretzels and salted, roasted peanuts.  Simple and salty.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2022, 08:05:55 am »
Sweet is out, period.  Doesn't work with beer.

Salt is the key for me to enjoy a snack with beer.  I think it's the perfect balance to the bitterness.
So pretzels or plain potato chips would be my go-to when I get the munchies.  Corn chips in a pinch.

If it was even remotely healthy, the greatest meal ever would be a hot dog, salted soft pretzel and beer.   :)
As always, you and I on the same page.  This is really what I was getting at... sweet with beer doesn't work for me.  The chocolate with porter or stout I understand but I rarely drink those.  Last night I had an English Bitter going.  I guess I just wonder why this snack mix company went so far out of their way to "hide" that these candied peanuts were in there.  On the front of the bag is a 1 or 1.5" "window" so you can see into the bag but it's sort of translucent... you can see what's in there but not really.  Had I seen these things through the window I would have put them down.  It sounds weird but I found these at Menard's, btw.  For the uninitiated, Menard's is a Midwest version of Home Depot that started in Wisconsin, I believe.  My local Menards is HUGE and not only has all the home improvement things you could ever want but there is a "food" section too with coffee, breakfast stuff, snacks, water, soda, candy, etc. and the snack area is giant... lots of chips, peanuts, snack mixes, Chex mix, etc. and that's where I found these.  Specifically called "CRAFT BEER SNACK MIX" and with the claim on the back WARNING:  THIS SNACK MIX IS MEANT TO GO WITH REALLY GREAT BEER or something like that.  Not.  :D

I should clarify that my post above is MY OPINION ONLY, and that I'm sure sweet and beer appeals to some if not many.  I just can't ever get it to work. 

I also don't like anything that masks the taste of the beer, so BBQ flavors, sour cream & onion, Doritos, dips, etc, while certainly tasty on their own, aren't what I'm looking for when snacking with beer.  I've made my own "snack mix" with broken up hard pretzels and salted, roasted peanuts.  Simple and salty.
That's a good point.  I have those things (BBQ, Sour Cream & Onion) in the house but I generally don't have them with beer.  Pretzels and peanuts are big and straightforward snack mix is common here and I tend to buy the mixes with some spice so that works too... the beer puts the fire out. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2022, 09:46:35 am »
A hunk of fresh baked bread with aged cheddar cheese and a glass of saison is my happy place.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2022, 09:54:01 am »

Japanese rice crackers with peanuts. You have to go to Tokyo to get the good stuff.

damn... thats too bad. i really want the good stuff... but, tokyo... i... i'm just not able to go there again for a 3rd time

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2022, 10:17:41 am »

damn... thats too bad. i really want the good stuff... but, tokyo... i... i'm just not able to go there again for a 3rd time

If you have a Korean or Japanese market near you, they are available. We buy these here all the time. And they are very good! But for some reason, the ones I purchased at 7-11 and Family Mart in Akasaka (a suburb of Tokyo) were wicked good. Awesome rice crackers, with just a hint of heat, and salty peanuts to die for!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 10:25:49 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2022, 10:34:18 am »
Those orange, banana-shaped things are in a lot of the mixes I buy.  I will pick stuff up locally, on Amazon or nuts.com... lots of good stuff.  I probably got this way from being dragged into stores by my wife. Places like Homegoods, TJ Maxx and World Market are "mostly boring" but they will have little snack sections and you'll find stuff you've never seen before.  Before you know it, you're addicted to exotic snax and beer!  :D  As long as the snax don't have any candied peanuts in them!  I do have a Korean market near me.  I should probably see what they have.  I saw a drinking show (THREE SHEETS) when the host went to Korea and he was drinking Cass beer.  When I went to the local Korean market I found Cass there and bought some. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 10:36:11 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2022, 01:00:33 pm »
I have always believed that the thing that goes best with beer is another beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2022, 01:23:49 pm »

One of us had to say it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2022, 01:28:31 pm »
In the end, I realize there is war in Ukraine and gas is $5 a gallon so sweet peanuts isn't much of a reason to be outraged.  I have buds who always snack on something when they drink beer.  I have some buds who do not and they generally don't have snacks around their house either so if I'm invited over it's kind of funny... I bring beer and snax and put whatever snax out that I brought and OF COURSE they snack on them.  So maybe they don't buy them because they know they'll eat them.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2022, 05:33:04 pm »

One of us had to say it.
I think the title to this thread should be “What snacks go with light lagers.”
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2022, 06:35:14 pm »

One of us had to say it.
I think the title to this thread should be “What snacks go with light lagers.”

Or, what light (Leicht) lagers go good with snacks?

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2022, 07:39:07 pm »
In the end, I realize there is war in Ukraine and gas is $5 a gallon so sweet peanuts isn't much of a reason to be outraged.  I have buds who always snack on something when they drink beer.  I have some buds who do not and they generally don't have snacks around their house either so if I'm invited over it's kind of funny... I bring beer and snax and put whatever snax out that I brought and OF COURSE they snack on them.  So maybe they don't buy them because they know they'll eat them.  :D

it's pretty different from when i was drinking in my 20s, where i'd want to bring some kind of snack or plan a meal/pot luck thing if drinking a lot with friends, because everyone would want to munch. nowadays, i just want to minimize total unnecessary calories going into me, while still enjoying as many beers as i can.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2022, 07:46:55 pm »

it's pretty different from when i was drinking in my 20s, where i'd want to bring some kind of snack or plan a meal/pot luck thing if drinking a lot with friends, because everyone would want to munch. nowadays, i just want to minimize total unnecessary calories going into me, while still enjoying as many beers as i can.

I fast from food on certain days. But a beer or two is always consumed. That keeps the total calories down, while still enjoying a good beer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2022, 04:35:32 am »
The comments was made that "nothing sweet" and while I agree with that in principle I have to admit that I was once charged to come up with a beer pairing with Girl Scout Cookies at my brewery years ago.I detested the idea at first but after a while I actually found that there were some surprising pairings that brought out or highlighted some of the flavors in the beer--or the cookies.

I'm a strict milk and cookies guy (or maybe coffee or tea depending) so don't get me wrong. I'm going in for a pretzel over a cookie with my next pint without a doubt. However, it was eye opening.