Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Parts source to "Pump my rig"  (Read 5473 times)

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
Parts source to "Pump my rig"
« on: November 09, 2009, 10:13:40 am »
I'm upgrading my brewery and introducing a pump.  What's a good online source for the pump, hoses, valves, fittings, etc?  I'll need a few QD's as well.  I'll post the new brewery in the next few weeks.  Thanks.

Offline jds

• 1st Kit
  • Enginerd, Dad, Homebrewer
Re: Parts source to "Pump my rig"
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:35:17 am »
I don't know much about the pump side of things, but as for hoses and fittings, if you can't buy it from US Plastics (www.USPlastics.com) or McMaster Carr (www.McMaster.com), you probably don't need it.

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:53:35 pm »
I'm hoping for more specific links if possible.  Those sites overwhelm me w/ all the stuff they have

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 02:16:09 pm »
I'm hoping for more specific links if possible.  Those sites overwhelm me w/ all the stuff they have

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10664
No relation whatsoever, just where I like to shop.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline Push Eject

• 1st Kit
    • Wortomatic, the homebrewing gadget website
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 08:26:55 pm »
I got my pump, silicone hoses and stainless QDs at http://www.morebeer.com

What is your priority?  Quality? Selection? Price? Speed of delivery?  That may help us respond with more useful info. :)

Push E.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 09:58:24 am »
I got my pump from Northern Brewer and the hoses from Morebeer.  I like to be an equal opportunity spender!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 03:29:06 pm »
I got my pump, silicone hoses and stainless QDs at http://www.morebeer.com

Push E.

Same here.  They will ship for free over $60 and the prices on everything was good.  They have the pumps, qd's and silicone high temp hose at good prices. 

The only thing I would do different if I could do it over again would be to get the stainless qd's for longevity's sake.  I've got the polysulfone ones.  With those, not only do you need to cut the cross bars out of the qd's for anything through which hopped wort or grain will pass, but they require o-ring replacement periodically and simply aren't as sturdy.  They're not cheap either, so stainless is the better alternative IMO.

In addition to that, you need to cobble together some hard piping and valves on your pump to make it easier to prime.  I used brass based on price.  There's the whole lead thing requiring that it be pickled if you're worried about that kind of things with the amount of contact time on these fittings.

In addition to the pump
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!