Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: London and Berlin  (Read 1021 times)

Offline jonoleson

• 1st Kit
London and Berlin
« on: June 13, 2022, 05:25:45 pm »
I'll be in London and Berlin for a few days each in a couple of weeks. I have a few ideas, but any suggestions that I simply can't miss?

Jon

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: London and Berlin
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 10:41:54 am »
London. Book a tour at Fullers. There are so many great pubs. Favorites are The Dove, Market Porter, The Grapes, Holly Bush, Royal Oak, and on and on. Hit the museums if you haven’t  been, many are free. London is easy to get around, so don't think something is too far. We done many tours by London Walks, choose a topic and try one.

Berlin has great museums too, primarily on Museum Island. Only been twice. Last time we were near The Castle bar which had a good selection. Many small bars to explore. I didn’t realize we were near the Scheeeule brewery until later, they're  doing some great Berliner Wießbier. Had a fun evening at Georgebraeu on the River Spee. So much more to do not beer related. We did an English walking tour on our first visit 20 years ago.

Do some internet  searches for what you want in each city.  I'm doing to same for the fall.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jonoleson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 05:48:51 pm »
Thanks, Fullers tour is booked! (Not sure how I hadn't already thought of that one!)
My wife and I were last in London in 1989, so it will be interesting to see how much has changed.
Never been to Berlin, but Schneeeule is the one thing already on my list. Looking forward to Museum Island and all the history in the city.

Jon

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 06:23:33 pm »
Thanks, Fullers tour is booked! (Not sure how I hadn't already thought of that one!)
My wife and I were last in London in 1989, so it will be interesting to see how much has changed.
Never been to Berlin, but Schneeeule is the one thing already on my list. Looking forward to Museum Island and all the history in the city.

Jon

Forgot to mention the Checkpoint Charlie Museum was much better than I thought it would be.

The Gemälde Gallerie is full of old masters.

I haven't been in the KDW department store, biggest I'm Europe, with a huge food court in the basement. This trip for sure.

Staying near Kreuzberg this time, a happening neighborhood in the former East.

Walk Unter den Linden by the high end shops and Embassies. Then go through the Brandenburg Gate.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline jonoleson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 04:57:13 pm »
We're staying near KDW, so we'll check that out.
We've been told Unter den Linden is great, so we'll definitely walk that.

As for London, I've heard good things about Harvey's, so the Royal Oak is on the list. How about some of the newer craft breweries in London? Anything worth leaving a Fuller's or Harvey's pub for??

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 06:46:09 pm »
We're staying near KDW, so we'll check that out.
We've been told Unter den Linden is great, so we'll definitely walk that.

As for London, I've heard good things about Harvey's, so the Royal Oak is on the list. How about some of the newer craft breweries in London? Anything worth leaving a Fuller's or Harvey's pub for??
Haven't been there in a while. We are staying no so far from the Bermondsey Beer Mile, but many of those are only open on the weekend.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild