Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Entries for NHC  (Read 7312 times)

Offline lucky12345

• 1st Kit
Entries for NHC
« on: June 15, 2022, 11:56:58 pm »
Just curious does anyone know how many entries for the 2022 NHC competition?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Entries for NHC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 05:27:40 am »

My email from the AHA-NHC states 18,000 bottles have been registered. That has to be a record.

Updates: Judging, Medals & Awards Ceremony
We have successfully sorted, checked in, and inventoried all received entries (approximately 18,000 bottles) in preparation for judging the world's largest amateur beer competition June 21 through June 23.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 06:39:50 am »

My email from the AHA-NHC states 18,000 bottles have been registered. That has to be a record.

We have successfully sorted, checked in, and inventoried all received entries (approximately 18,000 bottles) in preparation for judging the world's largest amateur beer competition June 21 through June 23.

I saw that as well.  If everybody sent the suggested 6 bottles, that means 3,000 entries.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 07:23:58 am »

I saw that as well.  If everybody sent the suggested 6 bottles, that means 3,000 entries.

We sent 18.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 10:20:26 am »
Has the AHA-NHC abandoned the standard rules for numerical scores on beers? Such as 0 to 50?

They have said that no actual scores will be provided to the entrants. Why not? A number score is really the best way to see where a beer falls within the style guidelines.

And what is with the score sheets not available until mid July? Nearly a month after the judging? Can they not be posted online, or simply emailed to the participants?

Comment Sheets
Each entry will be judged by two judges and receive at least two comment sheets per entry for beer, mead, or cider. Comment sheets will be collected, compiled and scanned to digital format, then emailed to competing brewers in the weeks following judging. You can expect to receive your comment sheets by mid-July.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 12:41:16 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 09:59:25 pm »
Has the AHA-NHC abandoned the standard rules for numerical scores on beers? Such as 0 to 50?

They have said that no actual scores will be provided to the entrants. Why not? A number score is really the best way to see where a beer falls within the style guidelines.

And what is with the score sheets not available until mid July? Nearly a month after the judging? Can they not be posted online, or simply emailed to the participants?

Comment Sheets
Each entry will be judged by two judges and receive at least two comment sheets per entry for beer, mead, or cider. Comment sheets will be collected, compiled and scanned to digital format, then emailed to competing brewers in the weeks following judging. You can expect to receive your comment sheets by mid-July.

Some of that time will be packing everything up and trucking it back to Boulder.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 05:45:38 am »

Comment Sheets

Some of that time will be packing everything up and trucking it back to Boulder.

And therein lies the main problem. The logistics of shipping everything to Boulder, then packing and shipping to Pennsylvania, then re-packing and shipping back to Boulder, would be enough to drive a normal person to insanity.

They should have the entire event in Colorado. How do they stage the GABF? Is it not all handled in Colorado?

Perhaps the AHA would be better off returning to a series of regional competitions.

Offline joeinma

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 09:26:48 am »
Yeah last year there were no scores on scoresheets, just a star rating system and how many rounds out of 3 your beer advanced.  However, some first round judges did put a score on sheets off to the side.  I have seen mixed comments this year that there will be first round scores after all of the complaints last year, but then some say no.

As for the delay in getting scoresheets out, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact the week after NHC is July 4th week, so AHA staff is probably mostly out of office and then it's just a matter of verifying and updating 3000-5000 sheets.  I mean there are plenty of smaller comps that don't post scoresheets online that take weeks to send them out by mail, so a large comp like this, I don't think that's that unreasonable.  It definitely takes time with scanning and uploading all those sheets.  I mean think about it, let's say there are 4,000 entries and each entry has 2 judge sheets, that's 8,000 sheets to scan and upload.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:28:45 am by joeinma »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 10:39:09 am »
Yeah last year there were no scores on scoresheets, just a star rating system and how many rounds out of 3 your beer advanced.  However, some first round judges did put a score on sheets off to the side.  I have seen mixed comments this year that there will be first round scores after all of the complaints last year, but then some say no.

As for the delay in getting scoresheets out, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact the week after NHC is July 4th week, so AHA staff is probably mostly out of office and then it's just a matter of verifying and updating 3000-5000 sheets.  I mean there are plenty of smaller comps that don't post scoresheets online that take weeks to send them out by mail, so a large comp like this, I don't think that's that unreasonable.  It definitely takes time with scanning and uploading all those sheets.  I mean think about it, let's say there are 4,000 entries and each entry has 2 judge sheets, that's 8,000 sheets to scan and upload.
You mean some people get time off?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 03:18:18 pm »
There was less than 1200 brewers entered in the AHA-NHC competition. This is on par with the Bluebonnet Competition 2022. The scoresheets were available within 24 hours of the Bluebonnet awards ceremony.

No excuses!

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 04:02:52 pm »
There was less than 1200 brewers entered in the AHA-NHC competition. This is on par with the Bluebonnet Competition 2022. The scoresheets were available within 24 hours of the Bluebonnet awards ceremony.

No excuses!
Keep your pants on, there’s a lot of $h1+ a helluva lot more important than that. It’ll come soon enough.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2022, 04:35:26 pm »

No excuses!
Keep your pants on, there’s a lot of $h1+ a helluva lot more important than that. It’ll come soon enough.
Mine didn’t win.  Did yours?
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2022, 04:45:55 pm »

No excuses!
Mine didn’t win.  Did yours?

I got a silver. But even when I don’t win I’m not going to get a tizzy over delayed score sheets. Most of the time I don’t pay much attention to them.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2022, 04:58:41 pm »

No excuses!
Keep your pants on, there%u2019s a lot of $h1+ a helluva lot more important than that. It%u2019ll come soon enough.
Mine didn%u2019t win.  Did yours?

I got a silver. But even when I don%u2019t win I%u2019m not going to get a tizzy over delayed score sheets. Most of the time I don%u2019t pay much attention to them.
Congrats! What style?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 05:01:46 pm by jeffy »
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2022, 05:05:08 pm »

No excuses!
Keep your pants on, there%u2019s a lot of $h1+ a helluva lot more important than that. It%u2019ll come soon enough.
Mine didn%u2019t win.  Did yours?

I got a silver. But even when I don%u2019t win I%u2019m not going to get a tizzy over delayed score sheets. Most of the time I don%u2019t pay much attention to them.
Congrats! What style?
Thank you! American Lager. I won a silver last year with that beer too.